Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Plug wire Broken?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 09:27 AM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Plug wire Broken?

While replacing the cap/rotor on my '86 the other night, I may have damaged a plug wire.

While wrestling the wires off of the old cap, I noticed that I had a wire disconnected from the connector. Not having another handy alternative, I just shoved the frayed end back into the connector.

After work complete, the engine ran great, with no signs of a "miss".

Considering all I've heard about old wires degrading,high performance wires etc, I can't believe that the wires work this way. Was "Murphy" looking the other way on this one?(a first for me). Will this act up later?.

I'm probably due for a new set of leads but don't awant to buy right now.

Inputs appreciated as always.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:38 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my 3.0, there is a threaded "screw" like feature on the end of the connector where the wire goes into it. When mine came off, I snipped off the end of the wire to expose a nice cross section with a tight center wire core, and then threaded the connector screw into the core until the wire was inside the connector recepticle and tight.

That was it.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:30 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I couldn't see well enough into the connector to see any threads.

Did you cut the lead "square" or id you strip some insulation to get bare conductor?

I assume the procedure is to "screw" the connector on to the prepared lead and then reattach to to the dist cap.

thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Plug wire Broken?