Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 06:05 PM
77 Carrera
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch help please

I recently had my transmission rebuilt on my 77 911 3.0. I put the tranny back on the motor myself and put the motor back in the car. The tranny is a 915. Anyways, now that I have everything back togther I am unable to get the clutch to work. I did not do anything to the clutch while the tranny was off. I tightened the cable as much as possible. I have done the 1.2 to 1 mm adjusting screw measurement. Is there anyway I could have put the tranny on the motor wrong? Could the fork that I believe puts pressure on the pressure plate be backwards? I did not take this arm off. It was left as it was. Could it be the way I put the first arm on. Any important steps regarding putting on the first large arm before the spring is snapped in place against the exchanger. I just put the arm on, put on cable, snapped into place the spring, put pin in, put little arm on, attached small arm, put on small spring, adjusted cable to 1mm gap and put on retaining clip. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Howard
Racer

Are you absolutely sure you have the release fork engaged with the bearing properly? You have to look thru the starter hole as you are sliding the gearbox on, then stop, engage the fork , then complete the assembly to be sure the fork is located properly. Otherwise, I suppose it is possible you may have the fork backwards.
I hope you locate the problem !
Old 04-07-2003, 09:53 AM
David0514
Racer

Hi, thanks for replying. I am logged in at work. I guess the fork is probably in the wrong place then. I didn't even think to check. I just lifted tranny and slid on. Does that release fork actually connect to the bearing or just overlap? Any nut and bolt connections? I guess I will be taking my motor down again. Oh, joy.

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:50 PM
Howard
Racer

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/por_911M_clutch_main.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/por_911M_clutch_main.htm</a>

Check the above image. The release bearing is in red, the fork has to locate between the forward and aft flanges. When you begin to slide the gearbox on the fork should be open toward the bell housing, then as you get close(maybe 1.5") from joining the engine and GB, you can look thru the hole, position the fork between the flanges on the bearing and then complete the assembly.
Sorry you have to go through it again.....the second time goes much faster!
Good luck !
Old 04-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Howard
Racer

OOPS! Go to page 2 of the above Pelican site , and click on the "photo" buttons to see the assembly.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:32 PM
David0514
Racer

Hi Howard, thanks for your help. I am assuming the red release bearing is the donut looking thing. Now the bearing wouldn't be on the tranny but on the motor side correct? Excuse my ignorance, this is all new to me. Also, is the large arm on the tranny suppose to spin freely on the shaft it is on?

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Howard
Racer

The bearing is in the center of the pressure plate, yes on the motor. Remove the snap ring on the shaft at the bottom of the gearbox and drop the arm off, then you can slide the arm on temporarily to use as a handle to rotate the splined shaft when engaging the fork during assembly.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:44 PM
David0514
Racer

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Quick Reply: Clutch help please