Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Any bike/ski rack systems for Targas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 12:07 AM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Post Any bike/ski rack systems for Targas?

I'd like to be able to take a Carrera Targa to the mountains for spring skiing days and for summertime mountainbiking. I understand that there are "hidden hitch" rear mount racks that one could hang a bike rack off of. Brand and models? Also is there any way to take skiis along on a Targa?

Are there any roof mount rack systems that work on a Targa? I recall older VW Rabbit cabrios (which also had a hoop) had a ski rack system... anything similar for Targas?
Thanks
Old 05-07-2002, 12:23 PM
Naitove
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a ski rack for my 911SC (I think it's a Moen) that I've had for 20 years. I haven't used it for about 18 but I think it mounts inside the grill on the engine cover. I've also seen bike racks that mount in the rear license plate holes.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:31 PM
Dan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in the SB area ( So Cal ) I have seen Thule used directly on the targa top itself. In fact in my early days I used one on mine for surfing. I hade aquired a spare top and would just put it on when I was going for a surf run. Never had a problem with coming loose and never lost a board, including my 1964 10'5" Yater. That is one heavy board.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:39 PM
JonSeigel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Performance Products has rear hitch bike/ski racks. However, unless you rig something yourself with cable locks, etc., the bike/skis will not be secure on the rack. By "not secure", I mean they can be stolen off the rack if you don't watch them; I *don't* mean the bike/skis won't hold firm on the rack while you're driving.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:24 PM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Are the rain gutters on the Targa roof capable of accepting and bearing standard gutter mount Thule or Yakima crossbars -- the old-style kind without the rubber roof pads?
Old 05-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are two threaded holes on each side of the Targa bar for a ski rack. They have plastic screws in them from the factory, the heads of which are partly concealed by the weatherstripping. I suppose that there must have been racks available at one time. Maybe they still are.

Quick Reply: Any bike/ski rack systems for Targas?