Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004 | 12:45 PM
Pedro Rodriguez 917
Cruisin'

Default New member

Just a line to say hello everyone!
I think this is one of the best English-speaking Porsche forums around.
There are no decent forums in Italy and the other good one I found was in German...
Pedro Rodriguez is my driver hero. He sums up everything we love about the 917 era.
He said he had a destiny to pursue. Although he was mostly a Porsche driver, he found his death driving a Ferrari.
The story goes that he always carryed a jar of tabasco sauce with him to enliven his food. Maybe there's a lesson there.

I hope I will contribute and learn from all of you.

Pedro Rodriguez 917

Last edited by Pedro Rodriguez 917; 09-20-2004 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2004 | 08:53 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Buon giorno, Pedro.

I dream of driving some Tuscan or Umbrian roads someday in a Porsche. I don't know if I would want to attempt a city though. I was overwhelmed in a point-and-drive rental while lost in Napoli. Older cars seemed very rare in Italy, I only saw one - a late 60s 911 at a car 'show' in Todi. Where are you?

Welcome . . .

Ian
Old 09-20-2004 | 05:15 AM
Pedro Rodriguez 917
Cruisin'

Hi Ian,

as a matter of fact Italy is the second richest country in terms of classic cars after the UK (maybe our German friends will object to that, but this is the statistics I have).
Italy is particularly rich of classic Porsches.
We have a strong backup of specialized restoring workshops and we are very keen on total originality. Our typical restoration job is done by a professional shop as opposed to lots of DIY's in the UK.
The basic difference from the UK is that we don't use our classics as daily drivers so you don't see the cars around. We take them out on bright sunny days and for club meetings.
I live in the North East, very close to the Dolomiti region (my avatar picture was taken there, at the Passo Sella, close to Passo Gardena), and I think this area offers the most challenging driving roads and most spectacular scenery of the country. Don't go there in the weekends though, as the roads become litterally clogged by thousands of bikers. The Tuscany area is suited for a more relaxed touring, both in terms of driving and scenery.
As for driving in Naples...we make many jokes in Italy, I have many friends there and they will be the first ones to admit that their traffic is chaotic.
Driving thru most other towns, especially in the North, is normal, verging to boring...lol
Saluti

Pedro Rodriguez 917

Last edited by Pedro Rodriguez 917; 09-20-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2004 | 12:56 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Welcome Pedro.
Old 09-20-2004 | 04:43 PM
classic911
Instructor

Ciao Pedro!

Last year I saw a fair amount of older 911s on my drives around Emilia Romagna/Toscana. A silver 72/73 Targa was especially stunning......

Auguri!

Ciao!
Old 09-20-2004 | 05:08 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Hey Pedro

you have to drive the Passo Stelvio.... That is a fun road..... Used to do it everyday in September to go skying from Bormio to the glacier.

Take the cars out more.... come on.....

I hope you'll stick around!
Old 09-21-2004 | 05:05 AM
Pedro Rodriguez 917
Cruisin'

Hi all,

thanks for your welcome words.
Matteo, I've been to Passo dello Stelvio a few times (admittedly not yet with my 911) and it's a great drive indeed. Did you know there are a couple of webcams installed there...http://www.passostelvio.net/
It's the highest piece of pubblic road in Europe at 2757m or 9045 feet. At that height you really feel the car losing some power, unless you're driving a turbo...
BTW...would you imagine the real Pedro Rodriguez driving up the Stelvio in a 917 (or maybe a 908)? It never happened, but it would have been the show of a lifetime..

Pedro Rodriguez 917

Quick Reply: New member