Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sportomatic Grind

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 02:37 PM
cjohanneson
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sportomatic Grind

I just bought a 1977 Porsche 911s with a Sportomatic but quite often I cant get it out of neutral into a gear .... it just grinds, grinds, and grinds. does anyone know of a way to adjust the clutch or somthing to help this. when i broght the idle down it helped but didnt fix the problem.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:59 PM
achtung Englander
Advanced

I think that the first thing to look at would be the switch on top of the gearstick, it engages the clutch as soon as it is touched, if it was shorting out or not working it would have similar symptoms
Good Luck
Ian
Old 09-16-2004, 01:02 AM
cjohanneson
2nd Gear

Default Yea...probably the issue

[QUOTE=achtung Englander]I think that the first thing to look at would be the switch on top of the gearstick, it engages the clutch as soon as it is touched, if it was shorting out or not working it would have similar symptoms
Good Luck
Ian[/QUOT

Good point and i new it was something like that but the last owner put a Momo shift **** on it o therw was not a switch...so when i push down on it ...nothin...i took it to our local Porsche expert (Redmond European) and he said he messed with some tabs to get it to shift better....but the switch is a mystery....is it on the top of the shifter? because i dont see it..
Old 09-16-2004, 08:30 AM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gear **** has nothing to do with the gear shift other than looking good and having a gate pattern on it. The contact points that control the clutch servo are located about half way down the gear stick under the gaiter. You will have to remove this to access them. You push away from you or pull towards you and release to change gear. If you are pushing into gear from neutral and not getting a gear, just grinding the clutch is not releasing. Start by removing the gear **** and the gaiter and inspect the points for correct operatrion. The servo on the gearbox should visually and audibly move when you push the or pull the stick. If you can't DIY the mechanicals find a mechanic familiar with the sportomatic system or you will get nowhere. Keep posting. Email if you like.

Quick Reply: Sportomatic Grind