Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'78 Targa rust--structural integrity issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004 | 03:32 PM
ScottC
Cruisin'

Default '78 Targa rust--structural integrity issues

My poor old Targa has a number of places such as the bottom corners of the windshield and below the targa bar where the paint is bubbling with rust. That's not so much of a concern, but the other day I pulled up the rubber covering on my door sills at the back and they were rusted all the way through (!) This appears to be the highest stress point on a Targa, especially when the top is removed so I am concerned about the structural integrity of the car before I go to another driver's ed event. A friend said that if this is a common problem rust area for Tagas, someone might make a custom replacement part that can be welded in. Is anyone aware of such a thing?

If not, any other recommendations on how to deal with this problem are welcome. TIA
Old 09-10-2004 | 03:40 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

My targa had the same issue on the door sills. It was an area about the size of a quarter. The local Porsche bodyshop cut away the area and welded in new metal. I'm not sure how much of the area was cut away (i.e just around the spot or the entire sill), or if the replacement peice was a part or if they fabricated it. Probably best to take it to a body shop that knows Porsches and get their opinion.
Old 09-10-2004 | 09:29 PM
wwest
Drifting

Better check for cracks in the body around the rear suspension torsion bar supports just in front of the rear wheel.

Quick Reply: '78 Targa rust--structural integrity issues