Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Startup Cabin Exhaust Fumes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:16 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Startup Cabin Exhaust Fumes

On cold start mornings when I immediately pull the tunnel heater levers up all the way to defrost the windshield, I get exhaust fumes in the cabin. They seem to disappear as soon as I start to drive, and do not seem present when I subsequently stop and idle at traffic lights. Is that normal? Also, aside from the normal mild cabin smell like that of the bilge of a 1937 Chris-Craft runabout (which I assume is simply oil spilled or oozed down to the exhaust system through the years), I have lately noticed a gas smell that seems more noticeable the longer the car sits. It is not noticeable in the trunk near the upper gas tank connections, nor under the car as far as I can tell, or in the engine compartment. There are no dark spots from leaks when I drive away. Any ideas where to check? the car will soon be going in for a seasonal tune-up.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:27 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cabin exhaust may be a leak from the heat exchanger exhaust pipe.. Maybe stop at your local FD and ask them to use their carbon monoxide detector in your cabin. The gasoline smell may be a gas tank cap gasket.. especially if the smell is more noticable after filling up the tank.. also look under the left fender for associated gas lines going to the expansion tank.

Quick Reply: Startup Cabin Exhaust Fumes