Click-Click From Right Rear Wheelend

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 05:21 PM
Chris Bunker
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Click-Click From Right Rear Wheelend

Hello-
I am hoping someone here might be able to help with a problem I've been having for a couple months now.

I noticed a rather loud click-click coming from the right rear this spring when I put my car back on the road after having swapped in new spring plate bushings. The sound (double click) occurs once per wheel rev. It is independant of whether or not the brakes are applied, and whether you are driving in a straight line or cornering.
It will not make the noise when the car has been lifted off the ground though. I checked the obvious stuff first:
No stones caught in tire.
Nothing rubbing on the inside of the wheel or tire.

I thought it may be a bad CV joint. So, I pulled the axles and had a look at the joints. The were pretty badly pitted. I figured that surely had to be the problem. I put 4 new joints (loaded with Swepco 101) on and the clicking is STILL there!

At the same time I had the axles off I had a look at the parking brake mechanism under the rotor. I cleaned it all, regreased where needed and adjusted the cable to ensure proper function. No effect, clicking still there.

There is not much else back there. The only thing I have not touched is the rear stub axle bearings. The fact that it only clicks when the weight of the car is on the wheels makes me think it is the bearings also. But...there is no play in the wheelend that would suggest a bad bearing, and besides don't bearings "rumble" when they go bad?

If the rear bearings where any easier to swapout, I'd have probably done it by now. But I am hesitant, unless someone can say "yeah, I have heard rear 911 bearings click", or some other reassuring comment like that.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Chris Bunker
78 SC
Old 07-16-2001, 12:11 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check that the wheel center cap is on tight, a loose one can make just the noise you have described - mine had me confused for awhile... Another long-shot, before changing what appear to be good wheel bearings, is to repack them, in case there is an air pocket making a void between ball bearings.
Old 07-20-2001, 01:58 AM
Mass911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris,
This may sound crazy, but the same sound you described was occuring with my 89 targa.
What it turned out to be was a broken rivet, one of three holding the front right wheel badge on.
I would have sweared that sound was coming from the back end. I lucked out that time, hope you do too.

Quick Reply: Click-Click From Right Rear Wheelend