A New Owner - Finally

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:35 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A New Owner - Finally

After 1 ½ years of casually researching & looking at 911s, one finally sits in my driveway. Certainly not perfect, but it’s mine.

1987 Carrera Cabriolet
61,679 miles
One Previous Owner
All Service Records
Original Paint: L908 Grand Prix White
Interior: Dark Blue Leather
Original Exhaust
7J & 8J 15" Fuchs with Pirelli P4000
Options:
158 Blaupunkt "Orlando CM127" Radio
424 Automatic heating control
454 Automatic speed control
533 Alarm system
Carrera Rear Spoiler also installed

Immediate Work Needed:
Brake Discs: Replace with stock Zimmerman discs
Brake Pads: Replace with stock Jurid pads
Tires: Replace with Toyo T1-S 205/55-15 & 225/50-15
Front spoiler (to balance the aerodynamics)
Lower to Euro height & alignment

So there it is. Bone stock. Plated in New York with Connecticut owners, but I saw, drove & bought it in Pompano Beach, Florida where the lady owner had a condo. Her husband bought (leased) the car from new & for the last several years it has resided there. (Not long enough for Florida rot to set in). It is missing the toolkit & the tire compressor, but she might have them at home in CT. Ever try to describe a Porsche toolkit over the phone to a woman who says Poorsh? I will mail her a picture.

I’ve decided to keep it original - for now – even the 15” Fuchs. I have Toyo T1-S tires ordered. I will have to do the immediate work above in the next 2 –3 weeks to plate it in Ontario. I already received my 1st shipment from Pelican (with a hefty shipping charge . . . hmmm). I will be self wrenching.

Excited? You bet.

Thanks to all here for your help & for the vast knowledge found via the search button.

Ian
Attached Images    
Old 08-27-2004, 09:00 PM
SandyI
Racer

Great car. Congrats. If you lower to Euro height, consider balancing all four corners when you lower. Lowering without proper balancing can some times make the car handle worse than the "raised" stock U.S. height.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:06 PM
randlej
Intermediate

Congrats and enjoy! It looks nice.

Funny, I had considered that same car and spoke to the woman several times.
Be interested to hear your opinion of it vs. hers.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:54 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

wow, nice car and congrats, sounds like its done some serious traveling in the last few years N.E. florida, and no Canada!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:52 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

randlej: She knew little & what she knew, other buyers had told her. She thought it was perfect. By the time I saw the car, others had soften her up a bit, but she turned down my 1st offer of $17.5. The PPI was stellar except for things noted above. Compression was 179 - 182 in all & leakdown was <5% in all. We finally settled at $18K a couple of days after her listing expired. She has told me that she has a paraplegic son due to an auto accident but I didn't ask about the absent husband who was the listed owner from new until Jan of this year.

Ian
Old 08-29-2004, 10:02 AM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Way to go Ian,

glad you finally found what your looking for.........sounds like you got a pretty good deal though.

Happy driving!!
Old 08-29-2004, 01:09 PM
randlej
Intermediate

Nice going. Sounds like a good price. Happy to have been one to soften her up a little for you. She was at $20 or so when I spoke with her and had the car looked over aesthetically by a local shop.

Funny what people call perfect with used cars. Enjoy!
Old 08-29-2004, 02:00 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Charles

Thanks. Are you still without a P-car? Getting itchy for another?

randlej:

Thanks for softening her. Like any 17 yr old car, it needs a whole bunch of little things. There has been some respray on the front & doors for cosmetics & a little bender the daughter had on the driver's fender, but the butt end is original. The front is too good to leave bare, so I'll have to get some StoneGuard. I had an P-car appraiser look at it yesterday for insurance & he was very thorough - even one of the bendy lights for those hidden places. No evidence of accidents. Panel spacing is great. Interior is very good. No valve noise. He appraised it at $32 - 33K CDN - approx $25 USD. He told me that it looked like a great buy.

Ian
Old 08-29-2004, 08:35 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice 3.2, weltmeister sways, turbo tie rods and new bilsteins-HD frt. Sports rears, will transform the car from a good driver to a great driver. My 88 rides on rails compared to other stock 87's and 88's I driven. $18k is a great deal in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:42 AM
alex'87cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Ian,
Your cab is beautiful. Great price too--especialy with the stronger Canadian dollar. My wife and I also bought an '87 in the U.S. and imported it into Canada (Toronto). We just had it appraised by our local PCA appraiser at $36K but I think the appraisal was optomistic by about $5k. I'd like to hear about how your work goes in replacing the brake rotors--something I'd like to do myself. If you need a shop recommendation let me know, I've used three different places in Toronto and have found a decent one.

Ciao,

Alex J.
1987 Carrera Cabriolet
1989 Yamaha RZ350
Old 09-02-2004, 04:30 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Alex

Sorry for the tardy reply, I was In Montreal & computerless.

My appraisal ended up @ $35K taxes in. Did Bruce Farrow do your appraisal?
As a wrench, he suggested G-Tech. I am going to attempt repairs etc myself but I am going to call them re inspection & smog in 2 weeks or so.

Ian

Quick Reply: A New Owner - Finally