Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

83 911SC - VIN Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Classic Style
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 83 911SC - VIN Help please!

Well, I'm looking into my second 911, this one is 9 years newer however, but before I committ to it, I had a couple questions I was hoping someone could help with.

The small ID plate that resides under the carpet in the front compartment just behind the gas tank is smoothe. Theres no numbers, and I was wondering if Porsche did away with those after a certain point, or if this thing is shady. Also, there doesn't seem to be a VIN plate inside the windshield, as far as I can see. I forgot to check for the ID plate under the front deck lid on the passenger side but I can go back and look in the near future.

All-in-all, the car isn't bad, there's some smoke from the exhaust which seems to be worn rings, cause it goes away after a few seconds. 215k miles, but that may not matter to much if I follow through with my plans. Anyway, thanks for any guidance in advance

Randall
Old 08-22-2004, 05:59 PM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Randall,
The Vin #'s on the body behind the gas tank and on the A pillar are not meant to be removed, they are stamped in the metal (behind the tank) and riveted to the A pillar or dash board. The Vin Sticker on the inside of the front fender is a sticker, and NOT legal for identification purposes. if the Vin #'s are missing, more than likely it is either a theft recovery (or still stolen) or an Insurance total loss, in which case there would (should)be a substitute Vin# issued for the vehicle.
a little smoke on startup is totally normal for an SC, more than likely nothing to worry about. I would be far more concerned with an untraceable past. Having said all that, do yourself a favor, and make sure that you are certain that the car is not a rebuilt/total loss or still "hot" prior to committing. Additionally, make sure that you have a PPI done by a mechanic you trust. That should help to ally your fears about the smoke at startup as well. If you can get the correct VIN #, a Carfax report, though not 100% accurate can sure help to avoid some major problems down the line.
Good luck with your decision ...Whatever you decide. The old addage rings true..."Porsche, there is no substitute"

regards,
-E

Last edited by EtheCarGuy; 08-22-2004 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Clarification of Carfax details.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Clipboard
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the boot over by the smugglers box, the tub should be stamped WP0ZZZetc, there should be a VIN plate on the drivers side dash and a punched sticker on the drivers rear door jamb. There is another WP0ZZZetc stamped up inside the dash near the radio. The engine should be stamped 930/16 (if you are in the USA).
If verifyable numbers are not available - RUN AWAY! (best Monty Python impression)
john

Quick Reply: 83 911SC - VIN Help please!