Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:30 AM
Winky
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting

A curious thing happened to me over the weekend as I took my car (1988 Carrera 3.2) to the track in a neighbouring country. The track is about 400 kms away and about 10 Porsches made their way there early in the morning. After driving for about 1.5 hours, most of which was at cruising speed between 180 to 220 kph, we stopped at a highway cafe for a cup of coffee. After a 20 minute break or so, we were to carry on our journey but I was unable to start my engine. Upon turning the ignition key, there was no cranking and only a high pitched sound (possibly the fuel pump). After a few tries, the other guys gave me a push and off we went to the track which took us about another hour. Upon reaching the track and after the registration procedures, I was unable to start the engine again when I wanted to get on the track. After a push-start, I spent the next 3 hours on and off the track, making pit-stops every 5 laps or so with rests of 15-30 minutes in between. Strangely enough, I had no problems starting my engine on and off the track. We left the track about 1 p.m. to head back home and decided to stop for lunch on route. After cruising for about an hour or so (averaging 160 kph due to heavier traffic), we stopped for lunch at a highway cafe. Again, after lunch, I was unable to start the engine and a push-start was required. I reached home in one piece and after the car cooled down overnight, I was able to start the engine the following morning. I have had the same problem before but I thought it cured itself - obviously not. The problem only surfaces after long drives at sustained high revs when the engine gets pretty hot. But then again, it was pretty hot on the track and I didn't have starting problems then... so I am really not sure what the problem could be. Does anyone out there have an opinion ?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like your starter solenoid is going bad. That high pitched sound you heard was probably the starter spinning but not engaging the flywheel.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:55 PM
ajackson
3rd Gear

The exact same thing happened to my 86 3.2L. Because I heard the high pitched whine and the intermittent nature, I was checking the starter, ground straps, dme relays, all sorts of stuff. After hours of messing with my car, it turned out to be a bad battery of all things. A trip to auto zone and a 5 minute swap and everything was good.

Might not be your problem, but at least take the battery to an auto place and have it them run their full test before looking further.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Winky
Cruisin'

Hey Alan, I assure you it's not the battery. I have been driving the car around town for the last 3 days without any problem. Like I said, problem only surfaces when the engine is running very hot after a long-distance drive. I suspect it may be a solenoid problem but will have to discuss with my mechanic in due course. Any other opinions ?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:58 AM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it's the starter. I had exactly the same problem when the starter go hot it wouldn't work . From cold starts it was fine.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting