Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1982 SC Wheel upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

The issue w. upgraded wheels besides fitment is twofold.

Issue #1 strength - The factory fuchs are forged and as such are quite strong and durable, very suitable to track use as long as the are regularly inspected. There are many very good aftermarket wheels, Kinesis, Fikse, HRE, BBS and I am sure others. Again light strong, and suitable for track use w/ regular inspection. Unfortunately there are many aftermarket wheels athat are not as strong which are very prone to break suddenly and catastrophicly. For street use these wheels are probably ok. Don't get me wrong, any wheel can fail, it's just that some of the aftermarkets have a much lower failure threshold.

Issue#2 o/s and hubcentricity - Fuchs come in enough o/s and sizes to satify most users, they are hubcentric and just bolt on. Many aftermarket wheels are not hub centric which is ok as long as proper adapters to perform this function are utilized. Wheels w/ improper o/s are a bigger issue. A wheel w/ too much positive o/s like a 993 wheel can be used on an early chassis w/ the proper adapter, ex 993 9x117 +55mm o/s will need a 40mm spacer/adapter to fit the rear of an SC/Carrera correctly. Spacers are heavy and reduce the strength of the wheels /hub assembly. Again for street use this is probably going to be ok but not on the track.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:17 AM
EtheCarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the posts... I'm still waiting on the seller of the spoiler to "agree" to sell it to me for the highest bid... If it actually goes through, I'll be one happy camper. As for the wheels, I'm still all over the map. I am in the middle of removing the paint and polishing the aluminum from the original Fuchs. I may opt to sell the original wheels and replace them with some newer/updated wheels.

Micah, Your car looks amazing with those wheels ! My car is light blue metallic, in fact it looks almost identical to yours in the above picture though it is a Targa. Did you lower the ride height? It's kind of hard to tell from the picture above.

Thanks again, and keep the information coming.

FWIW, I'd prefer not to roll the fenders if at all possible. Tire replacement cost is not an issue for me, as I only put a thousand give or take miles on my car per year...

Thanks again,
-E
Old 08-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Clipboard
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2cts again: IMHO, in 3+ years (and not mileage dependant especially around us as far as ambient air quality - or lack thereof - hack-cough) tires' materials have deteriorated sufficiently that I generally go for replacements based on time. Three years is also about one tire technology generation. I put Fulda Carat Extremos (where do they get these names?) on my SC earlier this year and they will become my track rain tires in three years. BTW, that shop up by the little airport quoted me $900 to lower my car, so I just did the front and had it re-aligned.
CU around (I actually took her to work yesterday because it wasn't supposed to rain - HA!)
john

Quick Reply: 1982 SC Wheel upgrade...