Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

PMO's and AC Too?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 03:44 PM
wheatdog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PMO's and AC Too?

Thinking of installing PMO carbs on my '86 Carrera along with other mods.
QUESTION: Will the stock ac compressor fit with the PMO's installed. Performance is great but dying of heat stroke in New Orleans takes the fun out of it. I would go to the PMO website but I didn't see a info/email spot there.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:22 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't know, but having grown up down there, you have my utmost sympathy.

If stock won't work, maybe you can use the aftermarket A/C units -- the carbs generally take less space so they may well work. You might try a post on Pelican which has a lot of viewers.

Just don't steal one of the ones on the new streetcars -- they drip water on the passengers.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Although it takes some doing, you can use one of the small Sanyo compressors and judicious routing of refrigerant hoses to make it work.

You cannot use the PMO tall manifolds tho as the air cleaners fit the underside condenser.

Now,......if you really want good A/C performance (as well as keeping the engine cooler),. get the Griffith's left rear fenderwell condenser kit and that will fix both issues.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:28 PM
wheatdog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve- thanks for the info. I'll check with griffeth's and see if they have a small high performance compressor that will clear. I'll be checking with you at a later date for rebuild work on the 3.2. I had emailed you previously but my return address was bogus. I get back in touch when Iamb ready to drag that oil puking so-and-so out of the back of the car. Engine runs super strong at 130,000 miles but the seals are all going to crap. Almost time to take a look before something evil happens.

Randy--The weather down here hasn't improved but with 90+ humidity and 1 foot above sea level, it's almost like water injection. Keeps detonation down and provides a nice, dense air charge. I keep a towel in the car cause the AC's out. Afternoon traffic on I-10 is pretty gross.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:50 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"weather... hasn't improved" - Yeh, I know - got dragged to a wedding in June - it was awful.

Overall, you are lucky -- you could be in Baton Rouge -- food sucks, no music really, no culture except puking frat boys... and still hot and wet. Oh yeh - I hear the the stinging caterpillars are bad this year. Anyway, glad I moved and now visit every year in the "winter." Best.

Quick Reply: PMO's and AC Too?