Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Deep-cell Optima-style batteries - trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004 | 04:58 AM
der Mond
Racer

Default Deep-cell Optima-style batteries - trouble?

Let’s hear your experience, strength and hope regarding deep cell or spiral cell gel batteries, such as the Optima. I have used an Interstate version in a Cherokee for 2 years with no problem, but a local alternator rebuilder said to stay away from them because they were never designed for automotive starter applications and burn alternators out prematurely. He said they charge and discharge very slowly, hence the alternator overwork, and were designed to be discharged fully over time, then charged slowly. Conventional cells discharge and charge quickly. He said the battery companies don’t tell you this because then you won’t buy them. Who’s right?
Old 08-12-2004 | 10:31 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damn you really do want an answer to this having posted here, Pelican and the Gruppe B board!
Old 08-12-2004 | 12:36 PM
jcjblo
Intermediate

Optima makes two types of deep cycle batteries, one for general automotive starting and another for deep discharge/recharge, usually for marine use. What you are describing appears to tbe the latter type and not intended for auto use.
Old 08-12-2004 | 01:05 PM
Clipboard
Instructor

Red OK for cars
Yellow OK for golf carts, trolling motors, etc
Red not OK for winching an Isuzu Trooper out of the mud
8-)
john
Old 08-12-2004 | 04:08 PM
RoninLB
Pro

actually I think he may be better with 2 properly, w/ control sw, wired Red Tops than 1 Yellow Top.
Old 08-12-2004 | 05:31 PM
der Mond
Racer

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2004 | 08:12 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries are superior because they offer far more surface area than conventional lead/acid flat plate cells. The greater contact area between the plates and electrolyte allow higher charge rates, which I suppose might be harder on an alternator, if you ignore rule one and try to charge a 'dead' battery with the car instead of a charger.

The increased mechanical strength of the spiral wind means longer life.

I use an AGM battery for auxilliary power (health thing) and one of the benefits I didn't know about is that they self-discharge at 0.25V per year! I havent re-charged this battery since May and it has 12.85 volts in it as of last week.

I agree with the comment that AGM batteries are made in different flavors. You have to get the right one for your application. given that, I think they are a great choice for cars, especially ones that are used infrequently.
Old 08-13-2004 | 04:52 AM
der Mond
Racer

Default I have resolved the issue - thanks

OK, here’s the deal. The battery I have used successfully is the Optima sealed spiral cell for autos with red top. It is an absolutely reliable and powerful battery that requires no maintenance and will not cause damage to your car. I have left lights on in the winter for hours and started right up. No charging system problems. AJ-USA San Diego sells the battery and makes an adapter plate that will allow bolting it right in to a 911. This is what Scott Naab told me for my ’87 Carrera:

We do offer an Optima battery for your Porsche (part# AJR-611-800 $139.95) and Optima battery adapter plate kit (part# AJR-611-211 $30.97)
The adapter plate allows you to bolt the Optima battery in the stock battery area.
We will ship these to you for free anywhere in the 48 states using ground shipping.
You will not need a ground extension with this setup. If you would like to place an order please call me directly.

SCOTT NABB
AJ-USA, INC.
scott@ajusa.com
800-877-1911 ext. 124
Performance parts and auto accessories
7:30am-5:30pm PST Mon-Fri 9am-1pm Sat
Old 08-15-2004 | 07:50 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

You guys using Optima - can you still use a battery 'conditioner' connected up when the car is laid up? Like the idea of a battery that doesn't drain when not in use but I can't get my head round it - not with alarms/clocks etc taking power.

PJC
Old 08-15-2004 | 02:05 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Originally Posted by pjc
You guys using Optima - can you still use a battery 'conditioner' connected up when the car is laid up?
you can use the conditioner for the Red Top, but I don't 'cause of my Yellow Top history. I disconnect the battery ground using the marine battert lug with the wing nut attachment. Then before re-starting I use the small battery charger till amp charge needle falls to 2amps.. then I wait another 1hr at 2 amps. Thus the alternator is pampered and the battery is topped off better than the alternator can attain.

Quick Reply: Deep-cell Optima-style batteries - trouble?