Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'87 Carrera Shock Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 06:42 PM
superpilot27
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Carrera Shock Questions

My '87 Carrera Targa needs rear shocks (one is leaking) it has the original Black Boge's on it.

I am considering putting the bilstein shocks or shock inserts in it instead of the Boges.

1. Does anyone know the part number of the bilstein insert that fits in the Boge strut housing? and the Boge replacement insert part number? It looks like approx $100 each will get either one.

speedycarparts.com lists only front inserts and no rears
ajusa.com lists the bilstein p/n B46-0975 at $115ea for a rear insert that fits the original Boge strut housing. This seems like the right thing,

but I figured one of you Porsche-heads with more brain than me might know what the correct ones are so I don't order the wrong thing and have to return stuff and reorder it...

2. Is switching to from Boge to Bilstein an advantage or disadvantage on a 100% stock car?

3. When replacing the rear shocks, is it necessary to replace the fronts at the same time?

I want to reconcile this and get the shocks so I can put them on Saturday before the motor goes back in.
Any ideas on parts dealers or parts numbers are appreciated.
thanks,
Superpilot27
Old 08-11-2004, 06:59 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the rear shocks is just that, replace the shock. It is not an insert. It's just a shock replacement. I did mine on my '86 a couple of months ago. I went with the Bilstein sports on the back and the HD's in front as I'm planning this winter to upgrade the T-bars. A good place to get them is SHOX.com 1-800-683-2890. If I remember right they were about $105 each. The job took about 1 hours total with the engine in. Call them, tell them what vehicle you have and they will tell you what you need. They are located in Cal and I got mine three days after ordereing. I live in Utah.

Good luck!

Last edited by jet911; 08-12-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:45 AM
GeorgeM
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 28 Posts

Another vote for SHOX.com. I got my Koni Sport adjustables and a nice Koni Red/Eibach spring setup for my wife's Corrado VR6 from them.

They're very helpful and plenty knowledgeable on Porsches. I have found no place with better prices.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I concur on shox.com.
2. definitely an upgrade
3. It's likely that your fronts are toast too by now. I'd replace them.
I also went the sport back, HD front route. Very happy with it.

Quick Reply: '87 Carrera Shock Questions