Fluctuating idles 500rpm-2Krpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 03:05 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fluctuating idles 500rpm-2Krpm

Hi All,
I have a 78 Sc with smog pump (not connected) and it was idling fine until this weekend. The cold idling fluctuates from 500rpm to 2Krpm for about a dozen times and it just died. the car cannot be restarted until I let it sits for a few hours. It sounded like it was gasping for air and the exhaust smells rich. The car never had a chance to warm up and it started on the first try in the morning. So its not the hot or cold start problem. Has this happened to anyone before and tips on how to cure this problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Andrew

Old 08-11-2004, 03:21 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

anyone?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This symptom is usually caused by a rich mixture. Did it just start happening? Did the weather (Temp) change significantly? Did you just fix a vacuum leak? Check you CO mixture and reset it and this should correct the issue. Check you fuel pressure first to make sure everything is within spec first.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:37 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Noel,
Thanks for your help. The SC was experiencing other difficulties such as normal idling but died after I revved up the rpm and back fires alot. I though it may be a vaccum leak so I replaced a couple of vacum hoses. I have not gotten around to checking feul pressures yet, I just ordered the CIS pressure gauge and it's on its way. Andrew

Quick Reply: Fluctuating idles 500rpm-2Krpm