Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need Winter Driving Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 08:15 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Winter Driving Advice

I’m embarking on an experiment to drive my ’87 Carrera non-turbo coupe all winter here in Fairbanks, Alaska. I plan to put Bridgestone Blizzaks on it, and I’m looking for any other tips from winter 911 drivers. Like, what’s a good floor mat that will fit and hold melted snow and keep it off the carpets, and where can I get one? And, has anyone tried plug-in heaters? Where would I attach one? – Here in Fairbanks on conventional vehicles we usually paste one to the bottom of the oil pan, one to the bottom of the transmission and one around or beneath the battery. They go to a 3-in-one adapter and we plug in to a timer that energizes 6 hours before we plan to start. I will be keeping the car outdoors.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:19 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why, for the love of god, why?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGaunt
Why, for the love of god, why?
I've driven my 911SC in the winter, and they're not such a bad drive. A decent set of winter tires is all you need. I even took the old gal to a BMW Club winter driving school held on a frozen lake ... tough to get it to turn in on the corners but lots of fun to hang the back end out with that throttle-on oversteer.

On the plus side, the heat exchangers are pumping warm air into the cabin within the first three blocks, and within three miles the air is hot, hot, hot --- which is a lot quicker than any water-cooled vehicle I've ever owned.

On the down side, the salt is tough on Fuchs; and there is a lip on the inside of the front fender that is prone to rust if you don't keep the inside of the fenders clean. And even though the heat is on quick and hot, the flow is RPM dependant, so its tough to regulate effectively. Oh, and the locks freeze when you wash it (which is often to keep the salt in check). And did I mention there really isn't any good place to put a heater, and so you have to be running synthetic oil if its below -15.

And don't lift ... I mean, really, DON'T LIFT!

Even with the down side, I'll get mine out a few times this winter again. I bought it for the fun of driving, and it really is fun to drive in the winter.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Hladun1
Instructor

I've run/driven my 78SC daily driver in temperatures down to -30 (Alberta). I use synthetic oil for the engine (5W40) and transmission. I don't, but if you want to add a heater I'd suggest heating the oil tank. An air cooled engine actually works fine in cold temperatures (aircraft & skidoo applications) because the cylinders warm up quickly.

The car drives fine in cold weather. You can slide the rear end around to your heart’s content without putting it into something solid. And oh yes, there's no whining about A/C that doesn't work like it should.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:06 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Where do we send the flowers??

Haven't been in Fairbanks in the winter in many years now but I would never willingly drive any car I'm a bit proud of and then only with rear snowchains firmly attached.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Building on Paul's comments...if your Fuchs are nice, buy an extra set of winter wheels. I'm sure you can find something on eBay. It makes the swap easier (you really shouldn't remove a decent tire then try to put it back on too many times) and you don't risk damaging your good wheels. (..never know what might be buried in that snow!) You might even want to drop down to 15s all around (if your Fuchs are at 16s) to help with traction and potholes. I'm pretty sure you can still fit 15s over your brakes, etc.

...don't follow anyone too closely!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Der Mond,
You should talk to John Dunkle about driving 911's in the winter. He too had a 1987 911 that he drove year round and loved it. Personally, I wouldn't drive the car in the winter if not for the beating it will take, but you'll kill the re-sale value on the car. But if that doesn't matter to you then enjoy it and be safe (don't lift). Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 08-10-2004, 02:42 PM
der Mond
Racer

Why, for the love of God? I am a driver and having a 911 I can't drive would be torture. Plus, it's only a couple weeks in the spring and fall when slush and (very little) salt are issues, and I will drive my Cherokee then. Most of the time vehicles stay clean for weeks and weeks when you wash them here, once it freezes good. And then most of the time the snow is fluffy and dry like Ivory Snow flakes. This is the only place I would comtemplate owning a 911 for those reasons. But, we shall see... I will give a spring report. I appreciate all the tips, and will follow up. And, I promise to not lift...
Old 08-10-2004, 11:45 PM
salomon
Advanced

not familiar with the term "don't lift" in terms of driving of in the snow...thanks
Old 08-11-2004, 12:01 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

as in - don't lift that throttle foot in a corner - there can as well be problems with compression braking on ice. are we saving the cherokee for the summer? probably need it after the 911 is wrecked
Old 08-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Hladun1
Instructor

I like driving my Porsche, so I drive it summer and winter. If you've recently checked the values of older 911's the more commonplace ones aren't worth very much. You can pour a fortune into upgrading them, keep them in a garage and sell them for a loss or you can sell the vehicle you'd drive while your Porsche sits, maintain the Porsche reasonably and get a lot of driving enjoyment. Yes, in the end you'll wear the car out, but in the meantime you get to drive it. It's a car and not a piece of art.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:34 PM
der Mond
Racer

Default Winter Driving Advice

I guess the sentiments of the previous post summarize my feelings. I'm 53 and still full of vigor, yet I am watching people my age and younger drop like flies from heart attacks and cancer. I love driving as though I was born with a steering wheel in my hands and my 911 makes my heart soar. If I was on my death bed in another year or two, I would not imagine saying, "...and I'm sure glad I kept that 911 looking like I just bought it in that garage."
Old 08-12-2004, 08:47 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess I meant the driving the car in the cold and esp. in salt will shorten its life so much, but hey it's yours to do as you like. and, I agree, once it gets really cold there, salt is not an issue like it is here in the southern north. I'm sure my old '76 would disappear in chunks after one winter in the constant damp and salt of southern Ont.

I think sleigh bells would be festive....
Old 08-12-2004, 09:32 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

get some really narrow steel wheels
Old 08-13-2004, 12:40 AM
LukeSportsman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would anyone consider going to a more conservative brake bias during the snowy months? I would consult and look into any mod's that Porsche did back in their rally days....sand and snow are similar in their lack of traction. I've experienced engine braking on dirt roads with 8:31 gears.

Quick Reply: Need Winter Driving Advice