Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need Winter Driving Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 02:04 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hmmm i have a perfectly wonderful to drive landcruiser for snow here in L.A. (to bad it sees snow1-2 days year in big bear) I cant even suggest this with out fear of being liable when some thing happens to the poor car. If you want to drive a 911 in the snow, find a bucket 911 thats already all dented and rusty, that way when it gets hit by someone or something, strip it fo parts and find another, maybe a 912 so it wont be as wheel spin happy.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:10 AM
sushinav
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeez,
Lot's of whining here. Let the guy drive it for Pete's sake! Did you guys forget these beauties were designed in Germany, not on some sun drenched mediterranean coast.

My thumb is up to you, I drove my last one through 2 Nebraska winters. Why? Because I could, and it worked great. The weight is where you need the traction...nuff said.

My advice is search Pelican or here for some of our brethren who live in Scandinavia. They should have some good tips for you. Why not get some smaller rims and studded snow tires and then read Vic Elford's tips on rally driving and post some pics of you out having fun. Paris/Dakar next.

As for devaluing it...I don't think snow at 25mph will do as much damage as SoCal road construction at 85 or a Track Day at the Glenn.
Drive the cars, men!
Old 08-14-2004, 04:57 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

"I don't think snow at 25mph will do as much damage ...."

I see you are in SoCal. Have you driven in snow much? It's like the idea of a flood - it's just water right? Well, there is sand and (around here in Orygun) ultra-sharp volcanic "sand" mixed in with the snow - because that is what they put on the roads for traction.

Back East they poison the rivers -- and your bodywork -- with salt. The newest idea is to use urea (often mixed into the sand) but urea is a fertilizer and is not going to help your body work.

So if you want the car to stay nice don't drive in human-modified snow. If you don't mind rust, dents from sliding crashes, etc. then go ahead. Several winters are going to make the car look a little beat up - at a minimum. It's his call -- it's fun to drive on snow (if there is a nice flat runout area), but no way is it like driving in summer.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:03 PM
sushinav
Instructor

"Have you driven in snow much?"
Yes: Germany, Nebraska, Idaho, Utah, New Hampshire, Alaska, Northern Arizona. Haven't been in SoCal long at all. And I agree, cinders ain't great, but they are much better than salt, but a little too crunchy for pretzels. So am I qualified to give my 2 cents now?

If the guy lives in Fairbanks, I'm pretty sure he knows the results of snow driving better than any of us, unless you live in Prudhoe or Kamchatka.

My point is just enjoy the car and ask the Swedish Rennlisters how they handle it.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Jens
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I've been driving New England winters all my life, with all kinds of sports acars under my butt. Early Mini Coopers to BMWs and everything in between. I have owned mant Porsches as well...dozens. After all these 41 years of developing winter driving skills and building, repairing, rebuilding dozens of my own Porsches I have found the best possible solution to winter driving and multiple Porsche ownership up here on the mountain in Vermont...4 wheel drive Dodge trucks and Subaru wagons. Don't kid yourself!

Use appropriate technology.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:01 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

You now with an old 1940's power wagon, you can crush all the Subarus....

Sushi - of course you are qualified to give your 2 cents. It's just the weight of authority that a reader will accord it. Actually, I'm not sure how much snow there is in Fairbanks. A lot less than the big city, I'm sure (Anchorage - which is on the coast). My friends from Fairbanks went up to the NWT's so I can't ask them but from its location in the interior, I'd guess it's similar to Wyo. - not a lot of snow outside of the mtns. at all except for freak storms.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:58 AM
sushinav
Instructor

Subys Rule! I'm on my 2nd. Now I just need to get back to somewhere I can use it. All this talk of snow driving is making me miss winters. We only have 2 seasons here in SoCal: Summer and Fire.

Course that's better than the 2 seasons in Nebraska: Winter and Construction.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This post is taking on the air of the man, boy and donkey story. So now, you buy a Subaru and then haul it around in a Dodge truck and put your Porsche in your living room. Or is that the other way around? Moral; do what you want and someone will always think your stupid.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:19 PM
der Mond
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winter Driving Furor

Well, I had no idea what a bruhaha I'd be fomenting. Thanks for every comment, that is what I asked for. I think I may do something like a monthly update post this winter. Any further comments are welcome, especially from my Scandinavian English-speaking brethren...

Quick Reply: Need Winter Driving Advice