Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 01:05 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Vent ystem

On my '76, the current vent system is configured like this:

Tube from vent in filler neck, to "Y" fitting.
1 side of Y fitting to vent connection @ Tank
1 side of Y to fitting on inner fender just forward of fuse panel.

I just looked @ PET and it shows a real plumbers' mightmare of tubes, containers and GKW.

The problem is, on hard RH turns, gas spills from under the fender and stinks up the car. When I disconnected the above plumbing, there was acutally gas sitting in the tube. Because everyting is below the vent in the filler neck, I think when the gas is pushed to the top of the filler by centrifugal force, it sets up a siphon until the gas retreats.

The question is, what is the best way to plumb this to stop it from happening?
I see earlier cars had a reservoir mounted higher than the filler to stop this. Is that a good back-date? If so, where does the container mount?

TIA
Old 08-06-2004, 10:03 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, did you check the hose between the filler neck and the gas tank? I had a 78 SC that also smelled of gas after track events. Turns out the connector hose was brittle and leaked. Also check the gas cap. There is a cork gasket in there also... Good Luck. Lou
Old 08-07-2004, 03:05 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Lou, Yes put a new gas cap on some time ago. Hoses are brittle, actually that is what prompted the inspection and subsequent research. I have made the decision to back date to a '73 system which puts a catch container abvoe the filler level, then y's out to the tank and fender vent. Seems a better idea than trying to collect all the stuff to put it right for a '76. I've ordered the whole '73 system (used) From Parts Heaven and will adapt it as required. Anyone know how and where the container is mounted?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:28 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

I have a '76 but obviously Euro spec. My breather just comes off the top of the tank and straight to the filler - no Y piece. My manual indicates that the US models had a Y piece as you described, with one line going to the bottom of an expansion chamber - a tube comes off the top of the chamber and drops to a charcoal filter, then on to the air filter.

PJC
Old 08-12-2004, 04:16 PM
RoninLB
Pro

I disconnected my stock US system. Then coiled the hose and tie wrapped it high under the fender. If I overfill I'll dump an oz on the ground.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:16 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

This brings up another question. Is the gas cap ventilated? My guess is no....because of fume recovery, at least in the '76 Ca. cars.

If I am right, if I run it as PJC has, there is no tank ventilation to add air as gas is used. I bet the Euro has a vented cap.

As far as the "Y" connector is concerned, yep, one side shouild go to the missing container, but as of not goes straight to the fender.

Ronin: did you block the filler neck vent and just go with the tank vent, or the other way?

TIA
Old 08-12-2004, 09:33 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Originally Posted by DGaunt

This brings up another question. Is the gas cap ventilated? My guess is no....

Ronin: did you block the filler neck vent and just go with the tank vent, or the other way?
my stock cap isn't vented.

I think your talking about the over-fill drain line. The drain line is intact.
I started removing smog stuff and left a small hose connected. I have to try hard to spill the oz by filling to the very extreme top of the neck.. otherwise the routine gas pump hose clicks off before that happens.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:59 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I haveno proble with the fueling part, I have to mess up big to spill too. My problem is spilling fuel on hard turns. I think you beat that when you coiled the line up high. I my car, the filler vent is the iverflow. and some idiot in CA knocked out the baffle for unleaded pump nozzles, so sloshing fuel has an unimpeded shot at the overflow/vent port in the filler.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Vent ystem