Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

DME questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003 | 11:17 PM
85 carrera
8th Gear

Post DME questions

So you're driving along and she shuts down like she ran out of gas. Look in Haynes, everything hooked and plugged. When do you actually jump and spend $500 on a new DME? I need some troubleshooting help. Thanks in advance.

85 Carrera, 155000 miles, exc cond.
(orig paint, no rust, no oil leak......
Old 04-03-2003 | 08:22 AM
LongLiveThe3.2
Advanced

Hi Vince,

More than likely it's not the DME. It does sound like the DME relay to me. DME relay is located under driver seat, next to the DME itslef, it's a small black plastic little box with several wires plugged into it. They're about $40 and when they fail, it makes it seem like the car ran out of gas because it stops the current from getting to the fuel pump.

I would start there. Let us know...oh... if you change it yourself, disconnect the battery first, then change the relay... have fun!
Old 04-03-2003 | 01:54 PM
85 carrera
8th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know, I'm trying to get one this afternoon. Appreciate your optimism, too!
Old 04-03-2003 | 05:34 PM
gerry100
Pro

If it's not the DME, keep the one you took out in your glove box. You'll need it sooner or later.
Old 04-04-2003 | 10:00 PM
Bill Pauling
Intermediate

I had a similar experience in my '84 - idling at the Taco Bell pick up window, and it just stops.

Initially the shop replaced the coil, as there was no spark. But the real cause was either the engine speed sensor or reference sensor (I'm not sure which). I understand from Alan Cadwell's article in February's Pano that it is rare for these to go bad, but when they do, you will not be able to get a spark.

Good luck.
Old 04-05-2003 | 01:33 PM
85 carrera
8th Gear

Aces, Dan. I'm back running without too much wallet trauma this time.

Here's the next one. While I was poking around before hearing from you, I noticed a post underneath the fuel filter with two different type of wire sets mounted on it. The top one is like a trailer light union with two wires, but underneath it is what I'll describe as a light brown spark plug shaped switch or relay, I guess about two inches long with a tip just like a spark plug, it's mounted facing the engine, there's a plug to connect it. Mine was unhooked, so I hooked it up. It looked purposefully unhooked, the wire was wrapped around another wire. I put in the DME relay, it wouldn't crank. I unhooked that wire and it fired.
Any ideas?

Thanks again. Thanks to all the other posters too!

Vince

Quick Reply: DME questions