advice on 2.5 short-stroke

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 11:49 AM
Joe Riley
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post advice on 2.5 short-stroke

Need some advice an engine for sale -

1969 E case - rods and crank (new oil pump and Carerra tensioners) mated to 1977 2.7S pistons, cylinders, heads and cams. Not the RS piston/cylinders I had hoped. Engine has 2000 miles. So these are the Alusil cylinders and cast pistons (8.5 - 1) using 2.7S heads (35mm ports - this is good). The compression should be higher than the 7.0 Bruce Anderson talks about using 2.0 heads but I think the shorter stroke should still provide less compression than would the 70MM stroke of the later crank - is this correct? Head volume the same - less swept area. Checking the specs on the CIS cams suggests they are rather mild with very little overlap. Milder than "T" cams. Questions are … do the Alusil cylinders require oil squirters (this case did not have them installed) and what cams are compatible with the 1977 2.7S pistons? Certainly not S cams but will others of similar lift but greater duration and overlap work - such as E cams? The engine uses Weber carbs. Sounds like it could be a fun torquey auto-X engine that still revs? I would use it for spirited weekend street driving, auto-X, and a few drivers ed weekends.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: advice on 2.5 short-stroke