Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alternator belt pulley and shims

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 02:43 PM
mwelitzkin
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator belt pulley and shims

i recently replaced the alterator in my 84 carrera. i had a bitch of a time with the alt belt. i put 6 shims on the outside of the pulley, thick washer and then the retaining cup. i put on the lock washer and tried to put on the nut, but there wasnt enough thread left. i installed without the lock washer, but my pulley is skewed a little and makes some noise.

did i assemble in the correct order?

mwelitzkin@aol.com
84 carrera
los angeles, ca
Old 07-19-2004, 02:57 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes you have to do a two-step with new belts:

install it as best you can, tighten the nut with as many shims as will allow you to thread it, then turn the engine to bring the belt up the pulley, then remove the nut, while holing the pulley half in place, and install the remaining shims, then check tension.

Usually some of the shims need to be behind the pulley to prevent too much tension.

btw, previous threads have made a strong case for checking torque on the alt. nut after driving some distance to prevent being at the side of the road looking for the parts distributed in the compartment after the red light comes on.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:19 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a new belt put all six or five shims next to the fan to start with. The more shims between the fab and pulley the looser the belt. Tighten up and turn the engine over . Recheck the tension, remember to put any 'spare' shims under the cupped washer next to the nut. It's a fiddly job but once done it's easy to do again. Go for a drive and recheck, don't make the belt tp tight as it will put stress on other components. Check again after 500 miles.

Quick Reply: Alternator belt pulley and shims