Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What to offer for a 78 SC with an 83 engine/trans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:40 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Question What to offer for a 78 SC with an 83 engine/trans?

I'm in the market for a track car and my mechanic has recommended a local 78 SC as a good candidate. The car is a three owner 78 SC with 200K miles on it. It has been well maintained and has been modified with Weltmeister strut bar, lowered suspension, Sachs, and Zimmerman rotors by the second owner. The current owner (all owners are PCA members) put in a 83 SC motor/trans (43K on it) and Sachs sport clutch. The car has never been wrecked or dented. It starts up without any smoke and runs very well. There's a knock in the front end (tie rods or bushings?) and the normal stone chips on the front bumper. He wants $16,800 which we both know is optimistic. Your thoughts on a fare price?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll take a stab at a price...

If the motor and tranny are tight and need no major repairs, that would be a plus to have the transplanted low mileage '83 items in the car (since it's a high mileage track candidate and not a concours queen).

Depending on what else it needs and what you think of the current modifications, it could bring anywhere from $8,000-$10,000 on the low side to possibly $15,000 if the car is in exceptional condition (needs no major work). Though, $15,000 for a 200,000 mile SC might be pushing it a bit...

It's hard to evaluate exactly what this car should bring since we don't know all what is wrong (or not wrong) with this car. If it's interesting enough to you, pay for a PPI from a reputable shop and go from there.

Your location can have an effect on the price of a 911 as well.

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964
Old 07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for your input, Jay. The owner is a fellow Porsche addict. The car is good shape and mechanically very sound except the knock in the front end. I plan to have it inspected to get a good idea of its true condition. I also drove a yellow 78 SC with about 80K on and completely stock. It was the easiest driving SC that I have driven. I can probably get this owner to come down on his 15K asking price because the car has some cosmetic issues. I'm not sure about yellow though.

Quick Reply: What to offer for a 78 SC with an 83 engine/trans?