Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What's normal play in front wheel bearing frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:44 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's normal play in front wheel bearing frame

I have had a slight and occasional humming sound from the front end and thought it could either be sticking brake pads or a worn wheel bearing. I could not detect any free play in the front wheeel after I jacked it up and after removing the dust cap the thrust washer was not able to be moved with a screwdriver blade. Removed the outer bearing and cleaned it up. I noticed that it spun smoothly with out any grease in it and didn't looked scored anywhere. The amount of free play in the bearing was about 1mm between the two frames of the bearing, is this normal? The outer frame of the bearing with the writing on it could move in and out in the direction towards the inner frame of the bearing. Does this look like a stock or OEM bearing? Timken/ Made in the USA? Anyone put in a new bearing lately and was this freeplay similar to my findings? Thanks Mark
Old 07-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Mark, generally you shouldn't have any freeplay. However the spec is for the sliding washer. It should move with light tension, not to tough. The racers run them Tight because when they get really hot the bearing loosens alot. If the sound sounds like a horn at slow parking lot speeds it's the caliper.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

If the inside of that brg is hot from heat thats not good either. If it only appears to be dark from grease, thats fine. I don't know why images don't always show up.

Quick Reply: What's normal play in front wheel bearing frame