Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil temp issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:26 AM
Eric Smith
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temp issue

I vintage race a early 911 with a 1969 2 liter motor. I have a later style front cooler and thermostat on it, in addition to the cooler on the motor. I have the factory oil temp and pressure guage hooked up but it is from a 1971 2.2 liter 911 T car. My temp guage hangs at 180 in the paddock etc but racing for 20 minutes in 70+ degree weather it grows to 210 then goes to about 220 (about half way between the 210 and 250 mark) When I come in it hangs at about 210 for a long time. Using a IR thermometer on the oil lines (yes the front ones also, so the t-stat is opening), oil sender, oil filter etc, they all register about 180 to 190 so I feel I may have a faulty sender or guage. Does anyone know if there is a special sender I should use for this set up or is there an auxilary guage set up to use as a back up?
The other guys running this set up don't get over 180 and some guys don't even have front coolers?
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Eric:

Nice car, BTW. I saw you run last weekend at the SOVREN races.

There is no question that you should not be seeing 220 deg on the guage unless something is wrong. We did some of your competitors cars' (Jim Loveall & Tony Bawcutt) and neither car gets that warm.

Assuming that this is a recent development, I would:

1) Remove the sender & gauge and test in boiling water for accurate display.

2) Make sure that your oil level is not too high.

3) Make sure that the oil screen around the pump pickup is positioned correctly if its the removable kind. If its not, make sure that the screen is not loose.

4) Check the oil cooler for proper airflow and any blockage.

5) Remove and test both thermostats to ensure they are opening all the way,..!

Let me know what you find.

Quick Reply: Oil temp issue