Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

80 SC Steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Deralik
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80 SC Steering

I recently installed turbo tie rods, ball joints and Bilstein Sports front and rear. Now when I get into a curve at speed, my steering wheel wants to jump out of my hands with road feedback. It seems to worsen the faster I go and the more I turn. It feels like the front wheels are overly affected by an uneven road surface. It doesn't feel good anyway. Is a bump steer kit in my future? If so, why and que paso?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:05 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I run exact the same setup on my 86, with a bump steer kit, no problems.
Did you lower the car?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a common problem with lowered cars as Marc mentioned. A bump steer kit will raise the steering rack about 1-2cm and will help to eliminate this. The problem is caused by the position of the tire rods. When the car is lowered the rods don't run parallel to the ground and every bumo tends to push and pull them, thus turning the wheel.

BTW, the kit is merely a couple thick washers that cost about $14. It is fairly easy to install, but the car should be aligned after.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Deralik
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies. To the best of my knowledge, the car has not been lowered. I do not see any height difference as a result of the upgrade. The car is a Weissach Edition and may be that the ride height was set lower than stock by the factory. I'll check on that but I don't think so.

Is the steering issue a problem that I must learn to live with? Having the steering wheel jump around is not a pleasant experience. Is it dangerous? Will it worsen at higher speeds, bad roads, declining radius turns etc? Do I just "drive through it".

I'll install a bump steer kit and see what happens. Thanks for the steering rack to tie rod alignment information but I'm not clear as to why I have this problem if all I did was change to new tie rods as they are the same length.

Quick Reply: 80 SC Steering