Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Unable to get oil line unconnected!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 05:07 PM
crashmy911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Unable to get oil line unconnected!!!

Doing engine drop, where oil line crosses over to other side of engine at that fitting I cannot disconnect. Can I cut this and replace it with new line, or would this be a very pricey part??? Looks like this may have never been disconnected and there is some corrosion on the line could I use heat on this or is there something else that would make it easier to get undone!!!!
Old 02-24-2002, 06:27 PM
Buffalo
Advanced

I intended to replace an oil line that leads to the oil thermostat. No matter how I tryed, I could not break it lose. A local mechanic told me that more often than not, these nuts need to be split to be removed i.e. using a die grinder down to near the threads in several spots and splitting. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:46 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use a couple of 18" long wrenches for leverage. even then it's hard sometimes. i've borrowed a karate trick, where you yell as you strike. it does help you pull harder.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:08 PM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a helper to counterhold the fixed fitting while you smack the other wrench with your 4lb. baby sledge. Good to be the beater and not the holder. I get a little nervous being the holder! Gotta shock that fitting.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:13 PM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

If the fitting can't be loosened with wrenches you will have to cut the nut and replace the line.

Take a Dremel with a fiber wheel cutter and cut it longways, until the male threads just start to show. Then taks a cold chisel and hammer and spread the nut open. After it's spread the nut should spin right off.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:03 PM
george gray
1st Gear

Just finished doing the same procedure. One thing I did notice on one of the oil lines was that it was in a bind and therefore was adding addtional force onto the threads.The alignment of the male and female connectors was not totally parallel. I also took a rag, tied it around the connection and soaked with a really good penetrating fluid (Kroil)and kept it wet for several days. It took two large wrenches and alot of effort but they came off and I was able to reuse the fittings when I replace the flexible hose portion.

George Gray
81SC
Old 02-27-2002, 09:44 PM
crashmy911
Advanced

Well I had to cut it off. One good thing cutting it off only took two minutes!!!Now I only have to undo the cv joints and the four I think mounts and away she goes!!!

Quick Reply: Unable to get oil line unconnected!!!