Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1975 911"S" Project in the breech...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 08:55 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts
Default 1975 911"S" Project in the breech...

I've been around PCA and Rennlist since 2007. Owned a slew of Porsches now, two 996TTs, one GT3, a 1999 Aerocoupe, four 944 variants and a 924S. And now, I'm picking up a 1975 911"S" that was blown apart for a restoration that is now in pieces. A lot of pieces. About 15 boxes, and 4 pallets worth of pieces. I'm posting this to introduce myself to those of you who I haven't met yet through PCA, PCA Club Racing, or around the racetracks I venture to. I've been instructing with PCA on and off since 2009 and I've been instructing/coaching with other clubs since then as well. I hold race licenses with PCA CR, NASA, and have dabbled in endurance racing with a successful team or two. On the flip side, I've also built most of the cars I've tracked and raced, so I'm not afraid of projects. That said, the intent of buying this project is really a "kick off" of my retirement at the end of this year, from 38+ years working in the Federal Government sector, as a government employee, then as a contractor, and finally for the last 19 years, a business owner doing business with the US Government. I'm cooked, and ready to not wake to an alarm clock. This project came available at the wrong time 4 months ago and I passed it up, because I had a racecar being prepped for WGi with PCA and I have an RPR 951Turbo that was not starting that needed sorting. Now I've got both cars running and my son's SP1/944Spec car out of my shop, so I have the room.

I know NOTHING about the 911 Aircooled platform. I'll be wearing out the search engine here. But if there are other resources to assist in my searching, please, help a blind squirrel find a nut? Please and thank you!

I look forward to becoming part of the aircooled crowd!

Mike Kelly.
Old 08-23-2024, 09:19 AM
tac911t
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Start at Amazon, and search for Porsche 911 books. Two to start with.

Bruce Anderson - Porsche 911 Performance Handbook
Wayne Dempsey - How to Rebuild and Modify Porsche 911 Engines 1965 - 1989

What are your plans for the basket case?
The following users liked this post:
Mikelly (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 11:13 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I've been around PCA and Rennlist since 2007. Owned a slew of Porsches now, two 996TTs, one GT3, a 1999 Aerocoupe, four 944 variants and a 924S. And now, I'm picking up a 1975 911"S" that was blown apart for a restoration that is now in pieces. A lot of pieces. About 15 boxes, and 4 pallets worth of pieces. I'm posting this to introduce myself to those of you who I haven't met yet through PCA, PCA Club Racing, or around the racetracks I venture to. I've been instructing with PCA on and off since 2009 and I've been instructing/coaching with other clubs since then as well. I hold race licenses with PCA CR, NASA, and have dabbled in endurance racing with a successful team or two. On the flip side, I've also built most of the cars I've tracked and raced, so I'm not afraid of projects. That said, the intent of buying this project is really a "kick off" of my retirement at the end of this year, from 38+ years working in the Federal Government sector, as a government employee, then as a contractor, and finally for the last 19 years, a business owner doing business with the US Government. I'm cooked, and ready to not wake to an alarm clock. This project came available at the wrong time 4 months ago and I passed it up, because I had a racecar being prepped for WGi with PCA and I have an RPR 951Turbo that was not starting that needed sorting. Now I've got both cars running and my son's SP1/944Spec car out of my shop, so I have the room.

I know NOTHING about the 911 Aircooled platform. I'll be wearing out the search engine here. But if there are other resources to assist in my searching, please, help a blind squirrel find a nut? Please and thank you!

Mike Kelly.
My best advice is to have a clear vision of what you want at the end, that ranges from a stock restoration to oe spec, street racer, clone of some 911 variant that you really liked, Singer wannabe etc

consider what you liked and didn't like for your intended purpose about your previous cars.

Mikelly (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 01:45 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

when My SP1 racecar was a streetcar, it was nimble, enjoyable and fun to run around in. Holding a record at VIR in a 140whp Porsche 944 in NASA MA helps with the following perspective. I really enjoy driving well in a lower HP car that handles well and brakes well. I don’t care for the “turbo look” or 930 slant nose cars. This car has working AC and I would like it to be a clwan and tasteful driver that can do a weekend trip to the mountains. Don’t think I want to bastardize it with “tribute” or “racer” things, but a rollbar may end up in it.

Random thoughts are stock with good manors. Motor was refreshed. Gearbox will need a full refresh. Interior parts will need an upholstery shop to fix.

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
My best advice is to have a clear vision of what you want at the end, that ranges from a stock restoration to oe spec, street racer, clone of some 911 variant that you really liked, Singer wannabe etc

consider what you liked and didn't like for your intended purpose about your previous cars.
Old 08-23-2024, 03:57 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 201 Likes on 159 Posts

Hi Mike. Welcome to our little air-cooled corner of Rennlist.

Unfortunately, as much as I love Rennlist, "little" is a good way to describe us here. We have some great people with a lot of knowledge, but these days you'll probably find more experience in the air-cooled forum at Pelican Parts. Many of us are members there as well. Don't overlook that resource.

At this moment, there are 80 members logged into this forum. But there are over 500 members logged in at Pelican.

Mark
Mikelly (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 04:20 PM
Dr. 914
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 206 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mike Kelly.
we are always a phone call away for tech advice, Mike

Mikelly (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 04:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 401 Posts

A '76 US US if it's a 5 speed should have a 915/40 trans w/ mech speedo. gearing is good unless you go 3.6 or bigger, a ZF 40/40 LSD makes it better or an asymmetric GT 40/60 even better

for nimble handling ditch the stock f/r bumpers and replace w/ f/g improved turn in is remarkable, I went w/ Ruff on mine because I liked the looks but there are multiple other options backdating to '72/73 is popular and the "73 RS is great looking as well as functional, like the Ruff , if you need extra cooling

stock body limits wheel & tire choice in back, this any or may not be an issue depending on engine spec. for more modest engine output 7x15 ET2.3 all around is good w/ stock f/r fenders, you could go 8 w/ custom ET rears, tires depend on wheels and uses, 205/50 x15 all around is great for performance but unless the car is lowered a lot may look odd, 205/55 or 205/60 is a nice middle ground, I don't like the taller tires like 185/70 or 215/60 but you could also go 185/70 all around too(215/60 won't work well w/ the stock rear fenders

if SC or early Carrera flares are added it opens up a whole nother world in tires and wheel choices

for mountain roads w/ decent pavement t-bars and lowering are in order, stock 18.8/23 won't cut it and the stock 16mm front sway is too small, you wan to add a rear sway too, 20/18 or 22/21 which depends more on t-bars more than anything else
for t-bar sssi depends on what tou want from the car bigger bars reduce mechanical grip but do limit roll and resultant suspension changes they also can become quite uncomfortable when the roads deteriorate,

here's a guide as to t-bar effects, it is specific to my car 2650#s w/ Bilstein shocks, weight and shocks would change things and there are other combos not listed
20/20 sway bars add ~50+/lbs/deg f and r

stock US ride height is a ridiculous 99/37+/-5mm f/r, RoW is 108/16/+/-5 mm but you can go much lower w/ compensating mods
'74 Carrera was 113/12+/-5mm, SC/RS was 143/14+/-5 and RSR was 160/-20
if it's only lowered a little( say ~119 front +/- use rack spaces if it's lowered a lot raise spindles and add an adjustable height steering knuckle
Old 08-23-2024, 04:37 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Welcome aboard Mike !
I also have an 89 911 since 2009 towards which i have thrown a s***load of money, including a 3.6 transplant, it’s a whole different animal than our SP2 cars !
Get the Bentley repair manual for your car , it’s definitely a bible and has a lot of info.
Like Mike mentioned, a lot of knowledge on the Pelican 911 forum.Enjoy the car for what it is , i spent a lot of $$$ trying to make it faster and better during the 7-8 years i was doing DE’s with PCA before i decided to buy a dedicated race car given the growing value and rarity of air cooled 911’s .They’re a reliable and fun daily driver when well maintained , somehow i have a feeling you won’t have any problems regarding that matter !

Cheers
Phil

Mikelly (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 08:31 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

THIS is GREAT info! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
A '76 US US if it's a 5 speed should have a 915/40 trans w/ mech speedo. gearing is good unless you go 3.6 or bigger, a ZF 40/40 LSD makes it better or an asymmetric GT 40/60 even better

for nimble handling ditch the stock f/r bumpers and replace w/ f/g improved turn in is remarkable, I went w/ Ruff on mine because I liked the looks but there are multiple other options backdating to '72/73 is popular and the "73 RS is great looking as well as functional, like the Ruff , if you need extra cooling

stock body limits wheel & tire choice in back, this any or may not be an issue depending on engine spec. for more modest engine output 7x15 ET2.3 all around is good w/ stock f/r fenders, you could go 8 w/ custom ET rears, tires depend on wheels and uses, 205/50 x15 all around is great for performance but unless the car is lowered a lot may look odd, 205/55 or 205/60 is a nice middle ground, I don't like the taller tires like 185/70 or 215/60 but you could also go 185/70 all around too(215/60 won't work well w/ the stock rear fenders

if SC or early Carrera flares are added it opens up a whole nother world in tires and wheel choices

for mountain roads w/ decent pavement t-bars and lowering are in order, stock 18.8/23 won't cut it and the stock 16mm front sway is too small, you wan to add a rear sway too, 20/18 or 22/21 which depends more on t-bars more than anything else
for t-bar sssi depends on what tou want from the car bigger bars reduce mechanical grip but do limit roll and resultant suspension changes they also can become quite uncomfortable when the roads deteriorate,

here's a guide as to t-bar effects, it is specific to my car 2650#s w/ Bilstein shocks, weight and shocks would change things and there are other combos not listed
20/20 sway bars add ~50+/lbs/deg f and r

stock US ride height is a ridiculous 99/37+/-5mm f/r, RoW is 108/16/+/-5 mm but you can go much lower w/ compensating mods
'74 Carrera was 113/12+/-5mm, SC/RS was 143/14+/-5 and RSR was 160/-20
if it's only lowered a little( say ~119 front +/- use rack spaces if it's lowered a lot raise spindles and add an adjustable height steering knuckle
Old 08-24-2024, 08:33 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Phil, My goal is to get it all back together. Looking at the wheel/tire sizes, it may be smarter to do the steel flares "now" since it is in epoxy primer, "if" I go the outlaw/tribute route. I'm still on the fence since I don't want a track car out of this project and if it's not my "thing" I'll want to recoupe my investment in time and labor through cash paid by a buyer. We'll see. I'll def. go to PP and sign up. I don't think I have an account there.

Mike

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Welcome aboard Mike !
I also have an 89 911 since 2009 towards which i have thrown a s***load of money, including a 3.6 transplant, it’s a whole different animal than our SP2 cars !
Get the Bentley repair manual for your car , it’s definitely a bible and has a lot of info.
Like Mike mentioned, a lot of knowledge on the Pelican 911 forum.Enjoy the car for what it is , i spent a lot of $$$ trying to make it faster and better during the 7-8 years i was doing DE’s with PCA before i decided to buy a dedicated race car given the growing value and rarity of air cooled 911’s .They’re a reliable and fun daily driver when well maintained , somehow i have a feeling you won’t have any problems regarding that matter !

Cheers
Phil
Old 08-24-2024, 01:47 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 201 Likes on 159 Posts

The other thing is that the Bentley manuals are available only for the SC and Carrera. You won't find one that is dedicated to the mid-year cars. But the SCs have a lot in common with the mid-years, so I would probably get that version.

Don't bother with the Haynes.

This little spec book is handy for all the torque values and specs in one place: https://www.stoddard.com/wkd422320.html

These are reprinted now, the originals were selling for quite a bit more until the new run was published.

Also go here to download a pdf of the parts manual: https://www.porsche.com/internationa...artscatalogue/

Mark
Old 08-25-2024, 09:51 AM
l02turner
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Mikelly;19610950]I've been around PCA and Rennlist since 2007. Owned a slew of Porsches now, two 996TTs, one GT3, a 1999 Aerocoupe, four 944 variants and a 924S. And now, I'm picking up a 1975 911"S" that was blown apart for a restoration that is now in pieces. A lot of pieces. About 15 boxes, and 4 pallets worth of pieces. I'm posting this to introduce myself to those of you who I haven't met yet through PCA, PCA Club Racing, or around the racetracks I venture to. I've been instructing with PCA on and off since 2009 and I've been instructing/coaching with other clubs since then as well. I hold race licenses with PCA CR, NASA, and have dabbled in endurance racing with a successful team or two. On the flip side, I've also built most of the cars I've tracked and raced, so I'm not afraid of projects. That said, the intent of buying this project is really a "kick off" of my retirement at the end of this year, from 38+ years working in the Federal Government sector, as a government employee, then as a contractor, and finally for the last 19 years, a business owner doing business with the US Government. I'm cooked, and ready to not wake to an alarm clock. This project came available at the wrong time 4 months ago and I passed it up, because I had a racecar being prepped for WGi with PCA and I have an RPR 951Turbo that was not starting that needed sorting. Now I've got both cars running and my son's SP1/944Spec car out of my shop, so I have the room.

Mike Kelly.[/QUO
Hi Mike,
You have quite a resume! I think you will enjoy all the resources available at Rennlist. An additional respurce you might open an account with is PelicanParts. Along with extensive parts, they also have an active Forum which can provide answers to almost any questions. Good luck with your rebuild of the 75 911! BTW, the 2.7L engine gets a lot of bad press and some is worthwhile. My 74 has the same 2.7L although mine has not had any problem in the 10+ years I have owned her. Granted, some of that time covered a few years when my health did not allow me to enjoy her as much as I did when I drove her daily to work. But I still enjoy doing what work I can still do and my wife is the primary driver now.
Once again, Welcome!
LarryT
74 911
Old 08-31-2024, 07:35 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Car is home, And in my shop, tucked away between a 944Turbo RPR car and a 3.0 968 Powered 944 Turbo racecar (Avatar car). I have an Account with Pelicanparts already, so I'll be moving over there to get more info. My intent is to R&R the components of the subsystems while the car is at paint and body. I would love to have it back by spring so I can start putting her back together then.

Here are a few pics... She has 90K miles on her, and the prior owner did a great job preserving all the parts.

Old 08-31-2024, 10:00 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Digging through the box label'ed "manuals this morning and found the Factory Workshop binder and two smaller PET binders. Also came with two books on the 911 "101 Projects for your Porsche 911" & "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook"! I'd already bought the Climber manual on the cars and did order the pocket spec guide from Stoddard. I have those same pocket guides for the 944s and they're so darned handy.

Mike.
Mark Salvetti (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 10:33 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

...and I'm trying to find a paint code that closely matches this...

Quick Reply: 1975 911"S" Project in the breech...