Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

CV Joint Lubrication Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:04 PM
frankd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint Lubrication Question

I have a 72 911 that had both complete rear axles replaced. The replacement units have a six bolt mounting flange where the original had only a 4 bolt flange.

This left 2 open holes on each end of each axel where I noticed I have lost a fair amount of CV grease.

My question is what is the best way to fill the CV joints with grease?

Should I just take off the clamp, pull back the boot load in some grease and reclamp it? Also are those clamps reusable?

Sounds too logical but as with 911's there is always a catch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-28-2004, 06:37 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmmm. I'd be just a little concerned about what might have gotten into the CV form outside too. Doesn't take too much grit to destroy a CV.
You can inject CV lube in through the holes, but you must plug those extra holes.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:50 PM
recordmanv
Advanced

I recently had by CV Boots regreased after a roadtrip to Vegas through triple digit heat. I had noticed a thumping sound with first gear everytime I gave a healthy throttle, it turned out being my rear axles having too much play due to the lack of grease. (the grease had dried up) ( Anyone else experienced this?, thought my tranny was going!)

Anyway, I watched my mechanic re-grease it, took all of 10 minutes. Here's what he did: Removed CV boot clamp (zip tie or whatever), injected red jelly-like grease via a pressurized oil pump with a very thin adapter that was squeezed between boot an axle. Use a new zip tie to re-clamp. My situation took a lot of grease, yours may not. There should still be a little horizontal play (between wheel and tran), even when maxed out with grease.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:17 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

After getting any grit out, you can seal the holes with small metric set screws (Allen drive headless socket screws) - put them in with Red loctite as you never want them to come out. Clean oil off any threads first.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:41 PM
frankd
Advanced

Good info .

Thanks!

Quick Reply: CV Joint Lubrication Question