Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

PLEASE HELP ME! Just put new axle on, but the BRAKE IS NOW STUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:22 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP ME! Just put new axle on, but the BRAKE IS NOW STUCK!

Hi all,

This is a follow up thread. I just replaced my passenger side axle. I fastened the bolts to the tranmission portion first, and then once I had one bolt in on the wheel side, I noticed that I could not rotate the rotor anymore. I thought "geez", what the hell did I do? Anyhow, I removed the bolt, and the axle had play once again. By the way, yes, brake off, and tranny in neutral, the same way I removed the bolts to begin with.

So, I fastened the rest of the bolts, without torqueing for now, but they are pretty tight. The brake pad is engaged and pressed against the rotor, so I figured I must had pressed or forced one of the cables that go to the caliper.

With that, I decided just to put the wheel back on, start her up and pump the brake to see if the brake would disengage, BUT NO!

The car does pull, so I think I've got the axle on correctly?

WHAT THE HECK DID I DO? I played with a few cables to see if I could get the brake to release, but no go. Please help me, I've got a DE in a few days!! Could I have reversed the joints to the axle? It does fit fine, and bolts went in easily on both sides.

regards,
Old 06-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Biff Bradley
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a new axle, or did you disassemble the CV joints? If so, it is possible to fit the joint together so that it looks right, but the axle has no play. I just did the same job myself, and the first time I reassembled the CV I had it wrong. The wide spaces on the inner race of the bearing shoud line up with the narrow spaces on the outer race.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:30 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Hi BB,

Welcome to the Board!! Thanks for the response. Yes, this was a new axle, so no assembly required. Is it possible that I have it on backwards? I thought it didn't matter. In any event, it is on without any issue with fitment.

regards,
Old 06-25-2004, 01:31 PM
mwildt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, is it the right one ? wonder if the diameter of the cv housing is hitting something that then causes it not to turn ? or maybe too long bolts ?

I know you wrote that the e-brake was off, but wouldn't hurt to double check.

Michael
Old 06-25-2004, 03:17 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Hi,

Yes, E Brake off for sure, car in neutral too for sure. Yes, I guess bolts may be too long with the newer axle. That was suggested on the other board too. I'll be checking tonight. I'll loosen them to see if it frees up the rotor/disc. I'll keep you posted. Any other suggestions are welcome.

regards,

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP ME! Just put new axle on, but the BRAKE IS NOW STUCK!