Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

88 Coupe window felt

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2024 | 03:39 PM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

Default 88 Coupe window felt

Happy 100 degree days everyone! Now that it's really nice to be in a cool shop I thought I would tackle replacing the sun rotted window felt on my drivers side door. Now that I have the door panel off, I'm wondering if I just dove into a pool that's too deep for me to swim in. Do I need to remove the window glass and/or the window frame? Oddly, I reconnected the window switches and neither window will operate. The dash lights show a current draw, but neither window will go up or down. Both worked fine before I pulled the door panel. I have been in the door panels of our 80 SC Targa and had none of these issues. Any input and advice, as always will be appreciated.
Cheers!
Rob
Old 06-23-2024 | 03:01 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

If you simply pulled the door panel and now you don't have window power. I would double check the connections (all of them) at each switch. I would check to see if you have power at the window motors.
This is step one.
Old 06-23-2024 | 08:01 PM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

Default Window felt

Thanks for the reply. It must be me, but I took photos and made a drawing of the switches and wire colors as I pulled them. I’ll be back at it tomorrow. I’m really interested to know if I will need to pull the window frame, and/or the glass to replace the felt. The Bentley is not too helpful. In fact, the window section says the glass stays in, door section says the opposite. I may just finish pulling the sun rotted felt out and putting the door back together once I have the windows working again.
Old 06-24-2024 | 06:42 PM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

Default Update, the felt is in!

Today I went to the shop, pulled all of the wires off the switches and put them back on, per my drawing. Works! So, the next issue was lack of clearance between the glass and the felt. I was able to loosen the window regulator limit adjustment, increasing the travel to the max, and the window went down low enough to remove the bits and pieces of the old felt, and to install the new $150 plus felt from Porsche. It was a bit dicey pushing the clips in without levering on the glass. Ended up with some wood shims and a flat blade to lever clips into the holes, using the glass but not touching it. I put a little grease on both just because. Bottom line? It's in and the next one will be a lot easier.
Safe summer everyone!
Old 06-25-2024 | 10:48 AM
AG81
Burning Brakes

rpk55

Yes the install is dicey. I put mine in recently with the glass installed. I used a plastic trim removal tool and slightly wedged it in between the glass and the felt to pop those clips into position.

Old 06-25-2024 | 05:44 PM
rpk55
Rennlist Member

Default window felt install

Yup, I was holding my breath the whole time. Used wood shims to shim the glass on the door side, and a trim tool and screwdriver to pop the posts in. Of course, after I finished the last posts, I realized that dummy put it in upside down. It was easier the second time. Door is back together.

Quick Reply: 88 Coupe window felt