Help identifying old parts/value of said parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 12:50 PM
arugulamonster
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identifying old parts/value of said parts

Hi Folks -

Sorry for the double post with a separate question, hopefully I'm not breaking any etiquette boundaries!

I recently purchased a 1985 911 Targa... very happy with the purchase. The vehicle has a number of modifications to it, and I believe previous owner(s) were very scrupulous in their maintenance log and keeping a hold of old parts that were either replaced or removed. Now I have several large tupperware totes sitting in my garage that I'm unsure exactly what they are and whether I would ever actually need them in the future. I posted some photos below of just a small sample of the old parts I have lying around for this vehicle along with my best guesses as to what they are. Any help positively identifying these items and/or correcting my guesses would be much appreciated! I'm interested in taking old/value-less parts to the dump in the interest in limiting clutter... any insight as to which parts would be wise to keep a hold of versus which are likely to never be needed again or could be easily replaced?

Thanks in advance!

Old shift level assembly?

Old radiator and/or AC components?

Old air intake box (upper) and AC component (lower)?

Old AC components?

Old brake pads
Old 06-19-2024, 03:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

top one is original shifter assembly and original shifter linkage.
Likely car was updated to short shifter as these are the parts that were replaced.

Also between the rear seats under the carpet is a cover for the shifter linkage , take it off and you will see what is under, likely updated also and that is the original car came with in your pic.

plastic bits are junk, original cup that dropped into the shift rod and guide sleeve ( donut ) that went around the shift rod.

second pics looks lke AC parts , not sure as i dont have AC

Third pic , top is air box from a later car . could be off a 3.2 , not sure , but is not a CIS air intake that is for sure. bottom tank is the WW washer/ headlight washer fluid tank that sits in left side wheel well behind the headlight bucket area .

fourth pic is Ac compressor, mounting bracket, dryer and evaporator..

i have all the original pieces i took off my car, maybe i dont need them , but keeping it all together is important to me .

Last edited by theiceman; 06-19-2024 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:28 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Boy, am I the perfect person to address this question! For the past 15 years, my garage and shed have been filled with old Porsche parts, mostly SWB and LWB air-cooled, but a few from water-cooled cars. I've put a few things up on ebay, with limited success. My wife urged me to get rid of it all, but "It's good stuff, worth money," I'd respond. A month ago, I decided to make a change. I packed up pretty much everything and took it all to a local PCA swap-meet. While most "vendors" didn't sell much, I did very well, since I was willing to make deals at any nearly any price, my real goal being to clean out my garage! The final phase was then to gift some things to my mechanic, and consign most the rest to the dumpster. So, to explicitly answer your question, most of what you have is junk that should either be gifted to your favorite air-cooled mechanic (he'll like the rear shifter linkage and the air intake box) or go into the dumpster. Oh, and I now have a sparkling clean garage! There are still a few things in the shed, though. Is anybody looking for a set of good original front seats for an SC?.

Last edited by raspritz; 06-19-2024 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 03:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

I had so much stuff .. my wife said its me or all these parts...

With her gone there is more space on her side of the garage for parts.

i am having real trouble parting with the original Cork Seats. They are in perfect shape and if someone wanted the car with them one day ..... so they live in the top of the garage.

Old 06-20-2024, 03:16 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i have all the original pieces i took off my car, maybe i dont need them , but keeping it all together is important to me .
Absolutely. Original good parts I took off my '69 (e.g. nice original '69 black/white sun visors because I prefer the look of black/black repros; and original headlights and NOS sugar-scoops because I prefer the look of Cibie Bi-Iodes) are packed in well-labeled boxes, to someday go along with the car when it goes to its next owner. But junk is junk; nobody wants it.
Old 06-21-2024, 01:25 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Couple of thoughts - why is there a spare air box? Was it replaced with a K&N air filter assembly? If so, put the old air box back in, and sell the K&N.

Same question for the washer fluid tank. Why a spare? Does it leak? Does your windshield washer work?

A lot of us take out the AC systems, they never worked well anyway. The top piece is the condenser that should be mounted in the floor in front of the fuel tank. What do you have there now? A hole (which would be open to the road) or a patch?

The very top part (above the condenser) is actually the heat shield from the catalytic converter.

I suspect some stuff is junk (like the brake pads), some could be sold on the Pelican classifieds (a better site for air-cooled parts), and some you may want to put back in the car because the upgrade may not have been a great idea.

Mark

Quick Reply: Help identifying old parts/value of said parts