Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

NO Activity on 912 Board, Price Advice on '68/69 912

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO Activity on 912 Board, Price Advice on '68/69 912

I apologize for posting here guys but I am assuming at least a few of you are knowledgeable about 912 values.

A friend found a "68 or 69" 912, very clean condition, good paint, solid condition asking price of $6,000 - I told him that year is the cut off year for the short wheel base vs. long wheel base body (I'm right in that, yes?"). I explained he neeeds to highly careful about rust and cited a few of the likely place to look - any additional advice on that subject appreciated.

I also mentioned that it is common to find a VW engine has been usedto replace the Porsche engine. I am assuming that a 912 with a VW engine is worth drammatically less in value, correct? Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of the value of this car? I know, vague description, any help appreciated. Also, where is the easiest place to find the info that would tell you it is a VW?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:17 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1969 is when Porsche switched to the longer wheelbase and the 912 was included in this change.

I would think $6000 is very fair for a 912 that is in very good shape.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:18 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

dude!? im always on the 912 board. if you would have posted there i would have commented, and so would the others of us (although there are only about 2 or 3).

68 is last year for swb. 69 is 1st year for lwb.. yes.

rust is everywhere. if you do a search on the 912 board you will see this has been ghavily discussed.

-floors, pans, suspension pan, window sils, anywhere that water can be trapped and not excape. under and arpuind the suspension.

value???? how original? condition? i mean there are a **** load of things youre not telling us with this car.

what kind of vee dub engine? tyope one or type 4? type 4 is what was in the 912E and 914 and is a much better engine for the aplication than a type 1. the t-4 conversion is a somewhat common thing to do, of course value will be less than original. but with prices of 356/912 engine parts going way up it is abecoming more common.

you need to go to 912bbs.org

talk to the guys there. they can give you more help. in the meantime i just got off work and i am heading home. i will pick up where i left off when i get home in a half hour

how can you tell if its a vw!? well... if you know what a vw engine looks like and a 912 engine.. its easy to tell. its easier to tell a t-4 engine apart from the rest as it is a pancake engine and does not have the upright fan shroud........

again.. more when i get home.

check out 912registry.org
912bbs.org
Old 06-23-2004, 01:19 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by Jay H
1969 is when Porsche switched to the longer wheelbase and the 912 was included in this change.

I would think $6000 is very fair for a 912 that is in very good shape.

912s in excellent shape are going for 12-15. concourse more than 20. a so so car will be about 7 these days. these cars have gone up in value and are becomeing more popular
Old 06-23-2004, 01:37 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by hoffman912
...these cars have gone up in value and are becomeing more popular
Harry, It figures! 2-1/2 years ago when I was about to buy my sister-in-law's long-stored '87 944 NA (which I have poured money into and wonderful car though she is, is only worth about $5K-if I'm lucky) I found an all original light yellow '66 912 with replaced front pans selling for $6600. Ultimately I passed because I knew I intended to use the car as a daily driver for awhile and the 912 (I felt) would be a little harder to live wit hunder those conditioins. I could kick myself over and over for not buying that car. It needed basicallhy the same things I did to my NA but would be worth so much more by now.

Anyway, I don't have any more info than I posted. My info is from my friend's description. If I knew anything about recognizing VW engine types by sight I wouldn't be asking the question!

Anyway, I think my basic question is answered...it may be worth the money they're asking!

Quick Reply: NO Activity on 912 Board, Price Advice on '68/69 912