Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel gauge electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 10:20 AM
bbal
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel gauge electrical issue

My 87 has a peculiar fuel gauge issue. I've replaced the sending unit (with a good one not the USO), and the contacts on the connector have been cleaned and tightened, but I'm still having an issue with the gauge. It will get stuck around the 3/4 to full range, and curiously, I've found that it becomes unstuck when I turn on the fog lights. It will work for a while, then go back to being stuck, then the fog light trick won't work for a while, but then strangely the next time I drive it and pull on the fogs I see the needle move back to where it starts working. I've searched and found that the gauges (not sure if it's on the 87 but at least on early 80s) are grounded in the frunk behind the blower, so I'm thinking of trying to get to that. Can this be confirmed, and any ideas on the easiest way to get to that spot are appreciated.

Last edited by bbal; 05-28-2024 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by bbal
My 87 has a peculiar fuel gauge issue. I've replaced the sending unit (with a good one not the USO), and the contacts on the connector have been cleaned and tightened, but I'm still having an issue with the gauge. It will get stuck around the 3/4 to full range, and curiously, I've found that it becomes unstuck when I turn on the fog lights. It will work for a while, then go back to being stuck, then the fog light trick won't work for a while, but then strangely the next time I drive it and pull on the fogs I see the needle move back to where it starts working. Any ideas?
i don't have the schematic for an 87 but i do have a question that might help others who can check a schematic for you

why did you change it ? does the " new" sender have the same issue as the original sender or is this something that just started with the new one.

Definitely sounds like you are getting interference on the line that is sending bad info to the gauge. I would imagine it is nothing fancy just a sense line directly to the gauge. so i would check that wire carefully or run a new wire. even just temporarily roughly to see if it fixes the issue.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:31 AM
bbal
Intermediate

The first mechanic I took it to when I bought it changed the sending unit. The gauge wasn't working at all before the new unit was installed. It then worked for a very short time before this issue started.

Last edited by bbal; 05-28-2024 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:34 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

The first mechanic I took it to when I bought it changed the sending unit. The gauge wasn't working at all before the new unit was installed. It then worked for a very short time before this issue started.
then i would not discount a bad sender.. but i would go with steps above first

BTW did you get your original parts back ?? i ALWAYS ask for parts back ..
Old 05-28-2024, 10:43 AM
bbal
Intermediate

I did. Good point. The car is at the mechanic today he’s a Porsche wizard and will take a look at it I will suggest the above to him if he hasn’t already figured it out. It’s not a big deal but it’s the only thing on the car that doesn’t work right and it would be nice to get it working consistently. Thank you.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

I did. Good point. The car is at the mechanic today he’s a Porsche wizard and will take a look at it I will suggest the above to him if he hasn’t already figured it out. It’s not a big deal but it’s the only thing on the car that doesn’t work right and it would be nice to get it working consistently. Thank you.
there is only one rule i go by when it comes to the fuel sender..

trust the light not the gauge ..... lol... if it states 3/4 full and the light is on, start looking for a gas station.

if he's a Porsche guru he has likely fixed it already
Old 05-29-2024, 10:42 AM
bbal
Intermediate

Always the ground. Thank you 🙏