Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bra front mask 1 or 2 piece now? '84 Carrera Cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 09:20 PM
Frabjous
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bra front mask 1 or 2 piece now? '84 Carrera Cab

Replacing original 40 yr old Colgan 1-piece bra on 1984 Carrera 3.2 Cabriolet. Appreciate your opinions/experiences with more modern 2-piece bra on these cars. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:45 AM
gourmetdds
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both types for my 83 SC. The two piece is much better looking. It is not easy to install or remove. The one piece does a terrific job of protecting but looks very ill fitting.
Neither does any damage but the two piece can cause some if you are not very particular about the care and adjusting. My car is shown often in local concours with zone 7 PCA. Due to that
my preferred is the one piece due to the quick install and removal.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:53 PM
Frabjous
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gourmetdds
I have both types for my 83 SC. The two piece is much better looking. It is not easy to install or remove. The one piece does a terrific job of protecting but looks very ill fitting.
Neither does any damage but the two piece can cause some if you are not very particular about the care and adjusting. My car is shown often in local concours with zone 7 PCA. Due to that
my preferred is the one piece due to the quick install and removal.
Thank you, gormettdds for a prompt response from a knowledgeable fellow with both items to compare. That's what we hope for on Rennlist. A spot-on reply confirmed my thinking: A newer solution is not necessarily preferred. Time now for a new Colgan 1-piece for my next lifetime.

Freeway debris destroyed the bra I've had available for that car since I bought it off the showroom floor.. Forty years of spirited touring with those of-the-close-encounter-kind and some AX on marbles and lots of CA freeways. It's like my collection of ancient car covers. A bra is a sacrificial accessory as used for its original purpose by the Porsche factory for protection during transportation which in olden days required driving the new cars. My recollection is that this solution was actually from a California supplier in the day. Function first. It is certainly not cosmetic nor stylish. But easy on and off and durable for constant reuse. Very Porsche-like.(IMO, T-Masks on Jeeps and Corollas-with-wings are just over reaching and risible.)

For G-body and earlier cars, protecting the paint is also preserving the orange peel. That's right. It was sprayed by hand and it ain't perfect. Paint "correction" and PPF render a different car. Do it if you prefer it. But the Colgan apron over the front takes and discards the road insults. Well, up to a point as I discovered.
Thanks again.

Old 05-29-2024, 09:28 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I would have PPF installed rather than a bra.
PPF not only looks better, it will not damage your paint by rubbing like a bra will.
Old 05-30-2024, 10:43 AM
Mountaineer84
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm having my bumper and hood resprayed soon and was wondering what the community thinks of PPF since it wasn't around when the cars were new. Does it detract from the car's value or does it add?
Old 05-30-2024, 10:54 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountaineer84
I'm having my bumper and hood resprayed soon and was wondering what the community thinks of PPF since it wasn't around when the cars were new. Does it detract from the car's value or does it add?
i personally would say neither... i wont pay you more because it has PPF. But that said i might buy yours over another if i thought the paint was in better shape all other things being equal.

i don't think it detracts at all..
The following users liked this post:
Mountaineer84 (05-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Bra front mask 1 or 2 piece now? '84 Carrera Cab