Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Valuation of 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 12:27 AM
mustang65fbk
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies and the words of wisdom. I went out for dinner with my parents tonight but they were watching my 8.5 year old niece, which as you can imagine can be a bit stressful. So, we weren't able to get any pictures of the car today but should be able to get some tomorrow morning. Will definitely get some of the engine bay, the interior and the front trunk. And thank you for the advice on BAT... my old man is pretty old fashioned in that he'll likely try to sell the car in person somehow. But, if we do decide to go the online route with BAT or something similar, I'll definitely keep those things in mind. I personally have no issue with sites like BAT, especially since it'll weed out the tire kickers and guys that just want to waste your time or lowball you. But it's also not my car, so we'll try to get a few more pictures posted tomorrow and see what he has to say on the matter. Sounds like the general consensus though is around the $60k price range? I saw a few similar cars on BAT sell in the $70k's and $80k's, of which I didn't realize this until now, but apparently the buyer pays the 5% commission fee as opposed to eBay where it's usually the seller? If I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the seller only pays $99 for the listing, plus an additional $330 for an optional premium picture service? That might be the way to go at this point.
Old 05-20-2024, 12:43 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by mustang65fbk
Thanks for all of the replies and the words of wisdom. I went out for dinner with my parents tonight but they were watching my 8.5 year old niece, which as you can imagine can be a bit stressful. So, we weren't able to get any pictures of the car today but should be able to get some tomorrow morning. Will definitely get some of the engine bay, the interior and the front trunk. And thank you for the advice on BAT... my old man is pretty old fashioned in that he'll likely try to sell the car in person somehow. But, if we do decide to go the online route with BAT or something similar, I'll definitely keep those things in mind. I personally have no issue with sites like BAT, especially since it'll weed out the tire kickers and guys that just want to waste your time or lowball you. But it's also not my car, so we'll try to get a few more pictures posted tomorrow and see what he has to say on the matter. Sounds like the general consensus though is around the $60k price range? I saw a few similar cars on BAT sell in the $70k's and $80k's, of which I didn't realize this until now, but apparently the buyer pays the 5% commission fee as opposed to eBay where it's usually the seller? If I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the seller only pays $99 for the listing, plus an additional $330 for an optional premium picture service? That might be the way to go at this point.
The buyer pays the commission on BAT transactions. I think the 5% is correct. Capped at $5k.

I would not go by "general consensus" on establishing a value for the car. I would again recommend reaching out to Nathan Merz - (set up a phone call with him via his website.)

Old 05-20-2024, 01:29 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 1,801 Posts

For reference, a year ago I purchased a very good condition 86 coupe with double the mileage of yours for $47k euros in Germany, where these cars are cheaper. I'd say that BAT numbers are the most reliable and that it could be worth in the $70-80k range and certainly no less than $60k.
The following users liked this post:
mustang65fbk (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 06:47 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

A couple of items of advice from a seller on BAT. Before pictures get it super cleaned by someone who knows the cars. Dry ice is not necessary in this price range but at least wash the underside well, engine compartment, carpets and mats cleaned and fresh, glass clean and at a minimum a coat of wax. From the one pic the wheels need to be washed and waxed to brighten the black spokes and shine the lips. Spend $300-500 for at a minimum 150% return or more. Second, do not assume the photographer knows the shots to take. I have gotten great new photographers who had no idea what pics are needed. So scan all the auctions and make a list of the pics required for top dollar. That's not 300 but probably 125 or so, it's a small car. Point out and photograph all the flaws too, might as well get past that. Use your finger to point at them if they will not show up in the pic easily. Pics of all maintenance records, owners manuals...... If something doesn't work I would seriously consider fixing it. I like working on my cars but I'm not normal. Get the oil changed, air filter checked, check the tire dates and if over maybe 6 years put tires on it, even if they have lived in a climate controlled museum....

Lastly, you will need a cold start and driving video. You will post them on YouTube and use the link to pass them on to BAT. If your not confident in editing them down to size tell your BAT rep to send a photographer that can do this too. I do my own but if BAT does it, it may be extra?

And, have the car with you during the auction!!! Huge deal to be able to respond quickly with a pic or be able to show the car on short notice. This is work, be ready and respond many times during each day of the auction. It's a beautiful car, people will like it. Best of luck!
Old 05-21-2024, 01:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Get it to a quality consigner. They are likely to get your more money net of fees and they do the legwork. BAT is a good barometer but people always focus on the high sales and not apples:apples compares, and the marketing needed to be successful with BAT is significant. There is a ton of work needed to show up well, and that includes being a very engaged seller. The most successful auctions on BAT are almost all dealers.

Well marketed this is a 60k+ car. 86 by some is regarded as the best year for the G.
Steven C. (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 11:11 AM
Balisong
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I will second the notion that you contact Nathan.
the values google gave you are too low.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:39 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 179 Posts

Not a penny under $60k. That car, if well presented will get the bucks. Good looking, tidy example.
Old 05-23-2024, 06:43 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Check out classic.com website for data on 86 car sales. I would look at prices for 84-86, as those are the 915 transmission cars with the 3.2 engine.
look at cars in your mileage range.

https://www.classic.com/m/porsche/91...upe/year-1986/

Old 05-28-2024, 02:03 AM
David Borden
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

You have had some good advice... BaT is the way to go, 3.2s do really well on the platform. You may want to consider selling with a consignor, who is familiar with these cars and posting on BaT, as they will know what if anything to address and how to present the car. Many times you will net more when selling with one the knows what they are doing.

If you go it alone, get the photos they offer and make sure the car is perfectly detailed... I cant stress this enough. You will need to provide a cold start video and a driving video as well.. Make sure to have a leakdown test completed, fresh oil change and valve adjustment if one has not been completed recently. Only accept a wire transfer and do not release the title or car until funds have cleared.

Avoid Ebay, Craigslist, and FB marketplace for selling cars. If you advertise privately, you will get inundated with flippers and scammers.

Last edited by David Borden; 05-28-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:16 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by David Borden
Y... Make sure to have a leakdown test completed, fresh oil change and valve adjustment if one has not been completed recently. Only accept a wife transfer and do not release the title or car until funds have cleared...
Tell me more about this wife transfer. I did not get one of those when I bought my '85. Did I do something wrong?
Ironman88 (05-28-2024)
Old 05-28-2024, 03:03 PM
David Borden
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Tell me more about this wife transfer. I did not get one of those when I bought my '85. Did I do something wrong?
now that was a typo... Corrected, thanks for catching it!
oldskewel (05-28-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 04:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
you didn't get yours ??

I got one and traded her in for a newer model ...

never looked back..
Old 08-14-2024, 09:38 PM
mustang65fbk
8th Gear

Good evening, apologies that it's taken so long since I've updated the thread, had a lockout/strike at work and a bunch of other things going on, but I wanted to reply with a bit of an update. My father decided that he would like to list the car on BAT, so we submitted the car last Thursday, of which there has been some back and forth about clarification questions, additional pictures and so forth. We added 30 to the initial submission but they're asking for more, so I think my old man is going to take a few more tonight or tomorrow morning. The good news would be that a "similar" car to my old man's sold just the other day for a little bit over $70k, so we're hopeful that we'll be able to clear that. $60k figure, fingers crossed. In the even that something doesn't go as planned on BAT, we'll likely add it to Craigslist, OfferUp, Facebook Marketplace or something similar. Hopefully we can get it sold on BAT, though if it doesn't anyone on here has any interest, please let us know. We've got 30+ pictures so far as well as more in the works and a couple pictures of the title, if it gets the far. Thanks again for the great advice and hope all is well with everyone on here.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...omments-anchor
Old 08-15-2024, 10:42 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

The car you are referencing had 164 pictures, as I said above, you need about 150 pictures if you expect to have an enjoyable experience on BAT. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2024, 11:47 AM
mhanyok
1st Gear

Beautiful car!

I've been watching each and every auction on BAT on these cars recently. I've caught the 911 bug and want to join the club, but patiently waiting for the right car. Presentation, engagement and friendly discussion (vibes ) are key on BAT as others have noted. Good luck! There's a wide range for similar cars.

Using a black on black '85 coupe as a control --

This well presented auction sold for ~$77k (95k miles, previous theft & minor accident): https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rera-coupe-41/

This one hit $64k with RNM (76k miles, previous accident in 2004): https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rera-coupe-43/

Quick Reply: Valuation of 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera