Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

possible 83 targa purchase, problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 02:44 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default possible 83 targa purchase, problems...

friend of a friend of a, etc... is selling an 83 targa, 117k miles. i was told it has an 85 motor in it. the top leaked and the inside was flooded. now the engine runs, but not great. says the top seals have been replaced, but i haven't confirmed that, the guy is hard to get a hold of.

i'm a VW dealer tech and our shop forman was a porsche dealer tech from about '70 to '80. he said to run away.

how likely is it the wet wiring is making it run rough? there's an ignition box under the driver's seat, right? he has a new one but hasn't installed it yet.

obviously a PPI would be in order, but should i waste my time and money? eventually this would be my daily driver.

the asking price is $6k, which may come down to hasten the sale.

so, walk away or run?

Old 06-20-2004, 04:41 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

This guy should pay you 6k to take the car from him and even then you should run away. Your pictures are worth a thousand words. The car has been abandoned and as such the problems that you mention are only the beginning that you will find if you buy this thing. You may consider buying it for 1k and parting it out for a profit, but you want a daily driver. Porsche are buy no means cheap to restore so don't buy a restoration project. If your budget is under 10k, then consider a well maintained 944. You shouldn't look at any Porsche that has not had a good maintenence history. Repairs get very expensive very quickly and they will sore your Porsche experience. Be patient and you will find the right Porsche.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:40 AM
GoodWife
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who spent around $20,000 restoring his 75 Targa, and the original owner before him spent $15,000 in maintenance - 98K. Your being a tech is definitely an advantage but...
I just bought a 75 Targa Silver Anniv with 69k for $9,000 in extremely good cond (shop ran engine checks, etc). It just needs a new fuel pump, and some a/c work ($1500), and maybe a new paint job someday if we want "pristene" ($5000). I just happened onto this car after a deal fell thru on ebay. I realize mine is 8 yrs older but the point is that there may be a better car out there for just a little more $ that might save you in the long run. For what it's worth, my (technically inexperienced, but accounting savvy) vote is walk away.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:26 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may be the dissenting opinion, but until you get it good and hot you don't know what's happening. At $6k if you can get it sorted out it may be worthwhile. Take it into the shop and tinker with it. Spend the money on tune up parts, DME relay, and do a compression and leakdown check. At the very least if it's not working out the seller will have a bit more useful info on the car. Exception to the statement above is if the car has been wadded then yes, walk.

Until a clean baseline is established, it's hard to say if it's worthwhile or not. At a $6k price it's worth an afternoon to try. You're a tech so you have an edge, use it. If you don't want the car, lemme know, I'd like to seriously take a look. I can use a Targa.

rjp
Old 06-20-2004, 03:43 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David,

Sent you a PM...

Quick Reply: possible 83 targa purchase, problems...