Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

On-engine oil cooler threads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 04:09 PM
ConditionTwo
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On-engine oil cooler threads?

Hi everyone, I've just bolted the engine back up to my new-to-me '83 after doing some much needed TLC. I didn't notice upon removal, but it looks like my S tube was clamped on to a threaded barb on the cooler. Referencing other oil coolers, it looks like it should be smooth.

Could this have been replaced earlier in my 911's life?

What could be some resolutions, short of partially dropping the engine and replacing the oil cooler with a newly sourced one? Teflon tape wrapped around the threads created a more barb-like surface to attach to?

The leaks that prompted me to drop the engine in the first place were TOD related, and I don't think this was an issue, but it's definitely sketching me out a bit. Please correct me if I'm insane, thanks.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

Yes that cooler is from an earlier 911, the SC as you noticed requires a rubber S hose and hose clamp

my 78 SC has an aluminum hose crossing the the top of the engine shroud preventing me from lifting it to get to the bolts to remove the cooler making removing of the cooler practically impossible without dropping the engine again.

if yours is the same you are in a tough spot.

May have to go with your method unless you want to try tacking a cooler replacement.
The following users liked this post:
ConditionTwo (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 06:22 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

I think someone replaced the original oil cooler with one from a 1965-1971 engine. Those had the threaded fitting. I'm not sure if you can use that hex to unscrew the treaded fitting and replace it with a nipple? I would be worried about damaging the cooler if you had to apply a lot of force.

Or have a machine shop make you a new fitting that threads onto the existing threads to provide a smooth barb for your hose.

I wouldn't be comfortable continuing with your hose clamped to those threads. That is just too small a gripping surface.

This thread is about a new replacement cooler, but it has some photos that may help: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...il-cooler.html

Mark
ConditionTwo (04-15-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 09:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
I think someone replaced the original oil cooler with one from a 1965-1971 engine. Those had the threaded fitting. I'm not sure if you can use that hex to unscrew the treaded fitting and replace it with a nipple? I would be worried about damaging the cooler if you had to apply a lot of force.

Or have a machine shop make you a new fitting that threads onto the existing threads to provide a smooth barb for your hose.

I wouldn't be comfortable continuing with your hose clamped to those threads. That is just too small a gripping surface.

This thread is about a new replacement cooler, but it has some photos that may help: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...il-cooler.html

Mark
im pretty sure that threaded piece is welded in and part of the cooler . the nut flanges are to counter hold the fitting when screwing on the hose so you dont rip the lightweight cooler apart.
Mark Salvetti (04-16-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 12:00 PM
ConditionTwo
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone. I think I'll probably end up grabbing that CSF cooler, which I had been eyeing for sometime anyways. What's another week or two wait on top of a several month project, anyways?

993944S2 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 04:49 PM
AG81
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

CTwo,

I just grab one yesterday. I am very impressed with the quality.

993944S2 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 05:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AG81
CTwo,

I just grab one yesterday. I am very impressed with the quality.
wow that is nice, do we even want to know how much that cost ?

edit: never mind.. just tread the thread 1000.00 USD / very nice but wow ..

Last edited by theiceman; 04-17-2024 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: On-engine oil cooler threads?