Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

styles or racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 11:30 AM
j959
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post styles or racing

As I've been reading over the different posts, I've seen many 911 owners look down at drag racing and admit that it is not a 911's strong point.....

Many other drivers envy the layout of the 911, especially when it comes to traffic light drags...

This is why....when you launch your car, it needs traction. Providing you have a turbo or widebodied car you have much more traction than most other street cars....

There is also more weight directly over the wheels of a 911, which helps maintain traction....

If it is a 4wd, 0-6 foot times are even better...any porsche 4wd turbo will get a jump on most other cars.

A 911 can be made for dragging, like any other car...I wouldn't say a 959 or or any of the later twin turbo cars would have a slow 1/4....

With a decent suspension setup, a 911 would be great at drags...spend a bit of money (a lot)
and you'll get those elusive 10 sec quarters...

(which is one thing I want my car to be able to do, as well as blitz other 911s at track meets)

If a porsche owner wants to drag it, let him and don't put him down....that's just what he enjoys
(everyone else loves it too)
Old 07-15-2002, 12:02 PM
Drew Theodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You better get a different type transmission if you have the 915 because it will not last long drag racing.
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-15-2002, 12:16 PM
j959
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having a 911 build up, and as I want to drag it at a decent leval, there's no way I'd keep a 915 in there....

I'm thinking of putting a Hollinger 6pd sequential in it. (In Australia, heavily used in both track racing and drag racing)

They're very light, extremely heavy duty (many of the dedicated japanese drag cars use these).

I'm not sure if they have one for porsche though.
They cost around $15k AU, so about 8-9 US...good value.

I think it'd also be cheaper than customizing late model gearbox.

I guess I'll see what happens...haven't talked about transmissions with the shops yet.

Quick Reply: styles or racing