Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Plastic Dash Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 05:26 PM
Randy Shelton
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Plastic Dash Cover?

I have an '69 911 and the dash has a couple of pretty big cracks in it. I was thinking about getting an original style replacement dash but the cost is outrageous. I seem to recall that one of the parts suppliers offers a "plastic" dash cover that fits over the old dash, maybe tweeks or performance parts. I know a lot of the newer cars have a "hard dash" rather than the padded dashes of old so I thought this might be an option. Does anyone have experience with these plastic overlays?
Old 07-10-2001, 07:29 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
My 73 came with one installed over an old and crashed dash. It looks fine, and I only decided to replace it when I stumbled into a good deal on a leather-covered dash.

Links to pictures:

http://members.rennlist.com/jackolsen/SoReal-M.jpg
http://members.rennlist.com/jackolsen/BA-PassDash.jpg
Old 07-10-2001, 09:01 PM
Randy Shelton
4th Gear

Wink

Thanks for the pics. The plastic looks decent, though from the angles, it's a little tough to discern a few of the things I'm interested to know. I think my main concern is that it might look like an add on, since it is. Specifically, I thought it might look cheap. How was the fit? After visiting your links, I realized I've seen photos of your car before and it looks great. I can't imagine you would have anything on it that looked bad since it's done up so well. I gues what I want to know is: would you recommend to a person who doesn't have the money for the real thing.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:53 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I think it looks fine. As I said, it never bothered me enough to even give a thought to changing it (until someone offered to sell me a leather one). I think a non-Porsche person would never notice that it was even there (I had to explain what it was to my girlfriend), and a Porsche person would only notice it if they were looking for it.

It certainly looks better than a fading, cracked dash. And at $80, it allows you to wait for that lottery ticket to come through before you spring the big dollars for a new replacement.
Old 07-10-2001, 11:21 PM
Randy Shelton
4th Gear

Thanks for the help. I think I'll check one of these out. I'll let you know how it goes.

rcs
Old 07-11-2001, 12:20 AM
pacmyster
Track Day

I have one too. My only complaint is that you can't give it a nice shine like leather. I suppose you could hit it with a coat of semi or high gloss paint but I'm not that daring.
Pete
Old 07-11-2001, 08:18 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

More shine = more reflections in your sightline. My concern with the new leather dash is to keep the shine to a minumum.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:54 PM
JayJ
4th Gear

I just bought one of these plastic dash caps. I thought they were supposed to just snap into place . Mine wont. Are they supposed to be glued onto the dash?

Quick Reply: Plastic Dash Cover?