Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

cracked sway bar bracket-repairable??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 03:13 AM
mschafer71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked sway bar bracket-repairable??

Crawling around beneath the rear of the 3.2 and noticed the rearward portion of the right rear sway bar bracket has separated and cracked. The front portion of the bracket seems ok, ideally I guess it should come off and weld on another. It looks as if it has been done before at least several years ago/OEM replaced. Any chance a re-weld may work for the time being? Not really a welder so don't know if any strength can be maintained in a repair or patch. Any welders please let me know if that is an option. Thanks Mark
Old 06-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is a not uncommon problem w/911's - i know my bracket cracked & mechanic fixed it w/ a weld - no biggie - can't say if the crack looked exactly like yours...
Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Mine had broken, I made some using 1/4" structural steel as replacements. I used the broken off mounting plate as a template to locate and drill the holes. I used a mig to then weld the old mounting plate to the new mount so it would still have the welded on nuts. I then used the mig to weld the new mount in place. I don't think I will be having any problems with the any time soon. I never noticed just how thin the stamped out OEM sheetmetal mounts were, even the "new"upgraded mounts are quite thin material. Total cost of upgrade- about 1 hour and less than $5.00. The most complicated part was shaping the new steel to the shape I wanted.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:18 AM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a common problem. The new ones are about $70.00 and have a "butterfly support" welded to add strength. Here's a link
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg5.htm#item12
Smart Racing Products also sells a kit that is supose to be a nearly permanent fix.

I replaced both of mine over the winter. You have to grind off the old ones and weld on the new ones. I suggest doing both at once. I don't believe you can simply weld the crack as the material is too thin.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same poblem with my 88. Was doing a fluid change this last weekend on the trans and noticed the crack. When I took the bolts off the whole piece came off. We welded it back into place. When I bought the car the other side had been done several years earlier. Pelican has a replacement mount that is reinforced. If and when mine crack again I will replace with the reinforced mount.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:29 PM
mschafer71
Instructor

Default ugly weld!!!

looked at a 87 targa today and noticed this weld job repair on rear sway bar brackets....must have been a novice.

Quick Reply: cracked sway bar bracket-repairable??