Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

retrofitting Cruise control onto 1980

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 04:52 PM
Chuck Nilsen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post retrofitting Cruise control onto 1980

Hey, I know this was an option, so anyone had any experience on adding CC to a non-CC car? What does it take? I'm guessing add a switch and the actual Cruise control device on the thottle. Do the standard SC's have the harness already on them, or does wireing need done?

Any thoughts?

Chuck
1908 911 SC targa
Old 07-11-2001, 12:44 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went through this 3 years ago for my 77. It did need a harness that may have been seperate or incorporated into a harness bundle. Nobody wanted to sell me wireing. I gave $100 deposit to a p-recycler to remove one when a car came in. Last week I asked for my $100 back, they had $$$ for over 2yrs. They're still looking into it. You can do it, some parts have been upgraded in eng. comp. The systems through 89 Car. will fit, if you don't have a fit first.
P-Workbook has diag. for cc and p-Tech bullet. has the upgrated bracket........Ron
Old 07-20-2001, 10:16 PM
saint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi. Yes I have had a little experience in adding cruise control to a car. I have fitted a VDO system to my 914, and I did one on a 911 for a customer.
First. If your car in late 1980, in other words, a 1981 model, some of the wiring is built into the car. That was the 3 wires that go to the engine compartment. Anything before, it has to be added.
To fit the system, you will need the control stalk, the servo, cable and the piece that the cable attaches to on the throttle body, if it is not already there. There is also a bracket that fits inside the tunnel of the cars that will hold a switch for the clutch pedal. The cars before 1981 had the entire wiring loom separate and the computer was located in either of 2 places. It can be under the dash, above yours knees or in the front compartment, fitted to a brace that fits in front of the blower unit and fit between the trunk floor and the base of the windscreen. The computer is a small aluminium case about the size of your hand and branded VDO.
To fit it really is easy, it is just hard to find the parts, but well worth the effort.
let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-21-2001, 09:41 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Retrofiting is like said befor no big task but the vacuumunits are not the best working system either. I would recomen to get a electric operating aftermarked unit and use the origian stalk. VDO has interfaces for that. The Vacuumunit need two wires one is ground via the clutch pedal switch and the other is signal from the electric controller.

You can workaround the clutch switch by integrating it to the brain connector and use a free wire in the main wire loom ( Sportomatic brown/white ) pre 77 cars have also the green sporto wire left over.

Grüsse
Old 07-23-2001, 06:29 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Chuck! Notice you are the proud owner of a "1908" 911SC Targa...wow!

I don't have much in the way of installation/retrofitting advice...but I can tell you that I have the servo/cable unit, also can probably scrape up the linkage part and screws that you will need for the throttle body.

As far as the stalk and wiring, Roland has good advice for using the leftover, or wiring that hasn't been used inside the main harness. Otherwise you could configure your own 3-position switch.

I find it odd that you have an SC w/out Cruise Control...I though they all had it? I would be willing to bet that most of the wiring is in place...every SC that I have seen has cruise control, heated mirrors, etc...I'm wondering if you are delete in some other options? Interesting.

Good luck on the install, let me know if I can help you out on the parts! They are off my '82 SC.
Old 07-23-2001, 01:22 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

The simplest retrofit is:
( prices are a bit old )
Porsche stalk switch 30 $
Stalk switch cover 5 $
VDO Tempomat Compact set with interface for Porsche 200 $

This unit is electric driven like the 88 on units but the kit is programable and contains near all hardware.

Building in needs a bit more time then the original parts but the thing is new and troubless compared to aged Porsche parts.

You also can switch to a Taiwan made JC Whitney unit. Not better but cheaper.

If you switch to the pre 74 light or wiper stalk you can use a stalktipswitchunit.

You also can try to find a old Audi 5000 stalk and can convert the lever to your newer Porsche stalk ( Seen at Gemballa don´t ask me how )

Grüsse

Quick Reply: retrofitting Cruise control onto 1980