Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche Classic Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
JacksonWL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Classic Radio

Hello, curious to hear from those who have installed a Porsche Classic Radio in their G-body and older 911s. Does the Apple CarPlay work reliably? Is the Bluetooth connection reliable? Eager to learn about any and all deficits. Thank you.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:35 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 246 Posts

Yes and Yes. I wrote a review on the Suncoast Porsche website. If you understand and don't complain about the small size, it is very good. I use the CarPlay and it is very stable and well integrated. Quite loud radio so no issues there.

Contrary to what some of the other reviews say, you can individually adjust different inputs.

Here is the review. I can add more or answer questions if you have them.

Small Package Packed with Capability

Gene Becker
(Enterprise, AL) | October 7th, 2023
Just had the new PCCM Single-DIN installed in my 1988 911 3.2 Cab in September 2023. (Not the original PCRN w/out Apple Car Play that came out several years ago, but the new PCCM single DIN with Apple Car Play that came out last year). The mechanic that installed the system charged 3.5 hours of labor. It has traditional wire inputs for the speaker system and doesn't support RCA jacks. It does not have a separate output for a sub-woofer so you combine the rear speaker connections with the sub-woofer connections as my subwoofer manual directed and it works very well. I bought three of these wire to RCA jack converters and it worked perfectly. Here is the link: (
Amazon Amazon
). The mechanic noted that the kit included all the hardware necessary for an easy install and said the components, wiring, and connectors were high quality and nicely packaged. I had the GPS antenna placed on the center of the dash just behind the defrost vent slots. From my previous radio, I had the Sirius/XM antenna placed on the A-pillar on top of the outside of the car and left it there. The Sirius/XM converter must be purchased separately. It is a small device for about $75. (SVX-300) The accessory box has two USB-A slots and a 3.5mm jack. One is labeled phone, and this is what you must use for Apple Car Play. It charges your phone. There is no wireless Car Play built in. The other USB slot didn't charge my phone or show that it was charging. It is meant for a USB music stick. This is convenient for a passenger or for you to load a stick with music. I mounted the accessory box to the left side of the center console. It is high enough so that it doesn’t interfere with my right leg. I used a 6” USB-A to lightning connector for my phone which rests in the slot below the door lock switch. I mounted the microphone on the steering column, and it works very well. No issues with people I am speaking with hearing me. You can bypass the external microphone and go with the built-in microphone on the radio face. I have not tried that. When you turn the car on and off, the radio turns on and off automatically. The opening screen displays the Porsche crest and is then followed by a warning screen typical of navigation systems that insist on telling you not to drive off a cliff even if the GPS says there is a road there. You can set the radio to bypass the start-up screen for several selectable intervals up to 30 minutes. This way, if you are running errands or making several stops, each time you get back into the car, it displays the operating screen immediately and skips the intro. The display is bright and colorful, and I haven’t had any issues reading the screen. I’m sure there are some sun angles that make it more difficult, but that is true with every radio I have ever used. You have three color choices (white, amber, or green) for the radio/button backlighting. It has a light sensor, so it automatically dims at night. I purchased the map data card so I have both on-board maps and Apple Car Play for navigation. My go-to app is Waze. I live in an area that has spotty cell coverage, so I purchased the additional on-board navigation for only $119 as it made sense for me. I have been in too many places where there is limited or no cell signal and having on-board navigation has helped. The map data card that came with my card was dated early Feb 2021. I expect there to be periodic updates available. The screen is small but usable. Not worth complaining about the screen size since it's a known before purchasing it. The touchscreen is responsive. It might be nice to have a small touchscreen compatible pencil or stick to type in information, so your finger doesn’t click the wrong letter or number during data entry. The tuner has a lot of capability. The satellite radio and FM/AM tuners work well, and the radio is LOUD. The volume scale is 0-30. 8 is very loud. You can go into the SOUND menu and reduce each input's volume independently. I reduced them several notches and now a normal volume is around 12 and loud is 15 with lots of room to go. I have a classic 80s amplifier still connected as well as a subwoofer and the sound is great. Car Play interface works normally. Screen area is used more effectively by Car Play than it is by the on-board map navigation function. To mitigate the small screen size, I have the turn-by-turn enabled so I don't have to look at the screen as often as I normally would when I am running it off my phone with a larger screen. There is a dedicated button on the front of the radio (HOME) that when pushed and held activates Siri voice commands. The on-board navigation is excellent, but small. Entering destinations is a bit awkward due to small screen size, so it's something you need to do before moving. I took about 30 minutes in the driveway to enter in all my favorite destinations as favorites. Once you do that, it is quite easy to pick a destination by touching the “Star” symbol and then using the ***** to scroll through. Your favorites. It always displays “Home” and “Work” as the top two favorites. Once you pick your destination it provides you with on-screen options to avoid things like highways, car ferries, toll roads, etc. or just push “Select as Destination" highlighted at the bottom of the screen. If you do nothing for several seconds, it will automatically start navigating. It shows traffic options and you can set the navigator to choose a different route if it saves you a user selectable amount of time. For instance, if a 5-minute difference is negligible, you can set it to stay on the original route. You can set the navigation to automatically change routes based on traffic or ask you for permission. It has endless options to tailor the navigation function and display so if you are tech-savvy, you will like this almost endless capability. The radio face has an included 16 GB removable micro-SD card (adapter for your computer also included) on the left side for you to load music as well as a source. The navigation data is on an SD card on the right side of the radio face. The radio can also play music via Bluetooth if you don't have your phone plugged into the Phone USB port. The adapter cable between the radio and your personally procured Sirius XM de-scrambler is included. I didn't think it was included based on the Suncoast website, but it was. They accepted the return without a question. It takes a while for the individual Sirius XM icons for each station to download and display. You can store 20 presets. Unlike the PCCM Plus double DIN radios, there are not a forward track/station hard buttons on the radio front. They should have put this into the design. However, the touch screen works fine to select different preset stations and music tracks, just could be cleaner with hard buttons. My only real complaint is the lack of voice control for the on-board navigation. If you will be a strictly Car Play or Android Auto person, it’s not an issue as you just press and hold the HOME button. However, the difficulty of entering on-board navigation destination information on the go makes the lack of voice entry a bit puzzling. Realizing that most people will probably just use their cell phone apps, it’s probably not a big deal for most. The documentation is excellent. There is a detailed installation manual and a Quick Start guide. Next is a very detailed Operation Manual covering all aspects and then two separate manuals diving into much greater detail on satellite radio operations and on-board navigation operation. So far, I am quite happy with the radio. The sound is excellent, it has very good capability, and, of course, it looks absolutely stock. Yes, the screen is small, and it is expensive. If that isn't an issue, you will probably not be annoyed by those downsides.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:47 PM
quattro4
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm running one as well. I'll echo that CarPlay works BUT not via bluetooth - phone needs to be plugged in for car play to work. Blue tooth connection does work for when you aren't using CarPlay.
For the direct plug in - I ran a iPhone cable behind the dash and into the ashtray where it stays coiled up until needed. I use the rennin iPhone holder off the clock - so can just pull the cable out of the ashtray when needed. Expensive but looks great and functions as expected.

As for the install - I was done in 45 minutes start to finish - effortless and true plug and play for me.

Stable:
'21 Macan GTS volcanic grey over black - daily
'86 911 Carrera black on black with whale tail - weekend warrior and garage queen
'08 RS4 black on black with ti - now weekend warrior and garage queen
'17 X5 grey/black m-sport - hers
'16 X3 M package for the kids to drive

Last edited by quattro4; 02-20-2024 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:00 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 755 Likes on 396 Posts

+1…excellent way to upgrade to modern convenience while retaining the OEM appearance

we install them often for clients
Old 02-21-2024, 10:35 AM
kmayer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I went this direction after considering the classic and literally could not be happier.

https://blaupunkt.com/product/bremen-sqr-46-dab/

Old 05-28-2024, 02:32 PM
Fab64
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
+1…excellent way to upgrade to modern convenience while retaining the OEM appearance

we install them often for clients
Moe, I have a PCRN3-1-DIN-US in my '84 Carrera. I am having an issue with the radio only playing a small subset of my MP3 files when in "Shuffle" mode. I'm wondering if this could be due to a firmware/software issue. Can you tell me if there are any firmware/software updates for this unit? Thanks for any info or help.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread!

Roger

Last edited by Fab64; 05-29-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

so was it anybody else ?? or just me ???

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic Radio