Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

82/84 No start issue. Have both spark and injector pulse

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 10:20 AM
Matt1982/4
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82/84 No start issue. Have both spark and injector pulse

I am now to Rennlist and I'm reaching out to the community for some advice on an issue I've been facing with my project car. It's a 1982 911 that's had an engine swap with a unit from 1984. Despite my efforts and checks, I can't seem to get it to start, and I'm hoping someone here might have some insights or suggestions on what to try next.

Here's what I've done and verified so far:
  • Spark: There's spark on all 6 cylinders, so I believe the ignition system is functioning correctly.
  • Fuel Injection: I've used an LED pulse tester and confirmed that there's an injector pulse on all cylinders.
  • Injector Resistance: Following the Bentley manual for guidance, I've checked the resistance of the injectors, and everything appears to be within spec.
  • Temporary Start: When I use starting fluid, the engine does fire up briefly but then quickly dies, accompanied by backfiring through the intake.
  • Fuel Pump: I have installed the upgraded fuel pump for the 84 engine and have tried starting with the connections jumped
Given these symptoms, I'm a bit stumped on what the next steps should be. The backfire through the intake suggests a timing issue to me, but I'm not entirely sure how to proceed or what specifically to check next, considering the engine swap and the checks I've already done.

Has anyone here encountered a similar issue, or does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this problem? Any advice on what to check next, or if there are any common pitfalls with this type of engine swap that I might be overlooking, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can offer. Looking forward to getting my Porsche on the road with your advice!
Old 02-14-2024, 02:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

ok i will ask a stupid question just to get it out of the way ...

Do you have the spark plug wires in the correct location ? an SC rotor spins counter clockwise but a Carrera spins clockwise, that is important to know when setting the spark plug wires.

Old 02-14-2024, 05:10 PM
Matt1982/4
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I double checked this weekend by installing them according to Bentley. but to be safe I will check again.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

if you know the firing order and and tdc of cylinder one and know the rotor turns clockwize, you dont need the bentley.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:42 PM
rowingone
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you sure your distributor is not 180 degrees off?

Quick Reply: 82/84 No start issue. Have both spark and injector pulse