Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1990 C2

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 03:10 PM
BP
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1990 C2

Everyday driving on the streets are great no problems but at the track one day I couldn't get the car to downshift to 2nd gear as if the clutch would not open (don't know what the right saying is) to let it slip into gear anyone out there have any advise on what to check or an adjustment that can be made? I did take the car to a mechanic who said the car shifts fine,but I don't want to go back to the track and have this happen again and waste a fun afternoon. Also I am a new owner with only 1600 miles of porsche experience. Thanks Brian
Old 07-15-2002, 12:51 AM
Targamike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar thing happen recently on the track. Ended up with only 3rd and 4th gear. Turned out to be the bolt that couples the shift rod to the transmission rod came loose. This bolt needs to be locktited in place so it doesn't come out. If you want to check it out yourself on your car, just jack up the rear. There is a rubber boot that covers the coupler in front of the transmission. Slide the boot off the coupler and look at the securing bolt that holds it together. If it is loose, you'll loose the ability to get all gears. If you do need to tighten it, take it out first and clean it. Then apply Locktite and reinstall.
On the other hand, if your transmission has been working fine since the track , your problem is probably somewhere else as the situation I described above will not "cure" itself (eventually the bolt will fall out leaving you with no gears at all).
Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1990 C2