Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1972 911T storing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004 | 02:10 PM
opass
Instructor

Default 1972 911T storing question

I am not driving this car much. Can I charge the battery through the cigarette lighter by using this Porsche battery maintainer, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW ? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2004 | 02:59 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes - I've got one and it works great.
Old 06-11-2004 | 07:26 PM
ebsalem
Instructor

I'm not sure you'd even need one on the early cars. My '72 sits 4 or 5 months over the winter and always starts right up.
Old 06-11-2004 | 11:02 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Opass,
Yes, you can use the Porsche trickle charger via your cigarette lighter. I bought one and use it on my Porsches. I thought that something was wrong with it, before I realized that it apparently detects full charge and shuts off.

Ebs point is a valid one, that perhaps a battery expert can answer. The "older" Porsches, such as yours do not have the continous electric draw demands that the new ones do for alarms, system computers, etc. Does your 1972 have an alarm?, etc that can draw current? Electricity is created by the electrochemical reaction btween HCL and the lead plates, and this process is independent of use. Recharging reverses the process and recharges the battery. My guess is that even though Ebs' car starts after 5 months, his battery is going to prematurely die. I would use the charger, regardless.

However, your post begs the following question? Why aren't you driving that beautiful machine. Porsches were meant to be driven, not stored. You are in CA, so there is no winter and no excuse, like we have in the east. Get out and drive it, like you stole it. Enjoy it, life is much to short and the car isn't happy either!!!
regards and get mov'in NOW!
Steve
Old 06-12-2004 | 02:28 AM
ebsalem
Instructor

RBC has a good point that my batteries are at risk with my light hearted approach to their maintenance. My best guess about why this approach works with most of the early two-battery 911s is that these early cars had so much more battery than was needed.

1200 CCA (combined) for that little motor?

Just as a datapoint, these batteries are five years old, I check the water levels every other year and are no-name batteries from NAPA. So yes they are probably near death. Also the car's clock works but otherwise it has no other electrical that draws current when the key is off.

Quick Reply: 1972 911T storing question