Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Order of Things

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Paul Morgan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Order of Things

I'm looking for some lessons learned and any advice on a project I have started.
I bought a 1975 911S that has not been driven for almost 14 years. There is some surface rust, the dash and seats are fine, but the carpet is funky and can't be cleaned (I've tried!).
Based on this site and others, as well as Wayne Dempsey's excellent articles and books, I'm comforatble with the ugrades and improvement I should perform, especially the engine, air conditioning and oil cooling projects. I will also replace all fuel, oil and air conditioning lines since the car has sat for so long. I also plan on having an aftermarket sunroof put in (a very nice one from a Norwegian company that can be installed here in Maryland). I've seen it installed in two other P's and it looked and performed great.
Here is what I've done to date:

- Seats and carpet are out, no rust found. Headliner is still in.
- Front trunk has been stripped and cleaned. No rust found.
- Surface rust spots cleaned, prep'ed and primed.
- All prep work for removing the engine(up to removing the four support bolts) has been completed. I plan on dropping the engine this afternoon.

I plan on removing the transmission, probably next week. Both the engine and transmission inspection will be done by a mechanic friend of mine who has worked on P-cars for years. I trust him. Lastly, I have a car trailer and can move the car without the engine installed.
Any advice and leasons learned, especially what order I should do the various tasks in, etc. will be valued and appreciated.
All the best.

Morgan

Quick Reply: The Order of Things