Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Assistance Request - 911 Carrera Workshop Manual WKD 482 020 Volume 1 - Missing Pages

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 10:11 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Assistance Request - 911 Carrera Workshop Manual WKD 482 020 Volume 1 - Missing Pages

My recent purchase and review of an old copy of the Porsche WKD 482 020 911 Carrera Workshop Manual leads me to conclude I am missing several pages.

In Volume I, Engine, right near the front there is a section on tightening torques. My document has pages 10-05 and 10-06. It looks like my manual is therefore missing pages 10-01 through 10-04.

If there are members with this workshop manual who can check their document to confirm my assumptions and also possibly send me PDF versions of my missing pages, then that would all be greatly appreciated. I am available by PM to provide my E-Mail address if required for exchanging documents.

It is VERY unfortunate that Porsche has discontinued production of this valuable document, even though the part number remains valid. This multiple volume is an excellent resource and Porsche should resume offering this for purchase to interested owners.
Old 10-21-2023, 12:22 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

Just sent you a PM.

BTW, for some reason I can't find the factory manuals at Pelican, but Stoddard's has them: https://www.stoddard.com/wkd482020.html

These are the newer manuals with the grey covers, rather than the original manuals with the maroon covers. I have read that the print quality of the newer versions isn't as good as the originals.

I think the best source of torque values and overall specs is the Little Spec Book. Those used to be out of print and originals were selling for high prices used, but they are being reprinted now: https://www.stoddard.com/wkd423020-37296.html.html

Mark
The following users liked this post:
wingless (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 02:16 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti
Just sent you a PM.

BTW, for some reason I can't find the factory manuals at Pelican, but Stoddard's has them: https://www.stoddard.com/wkd482020.html

These are the newer manuals with the grey covers, rather than the original manuals with the maroon covers. I have read that the print quality of the newer versions isn't as good as the originals.
Thanks very much for the information and the PM messages.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Page / section 10-05 and 10-06 is not the same as 10-5 and 10-6. The Porsche manual numbering system uses a leading zero after the dash for a reference section related to the following section.

The information provided didn't include the requested Volume I pages 10-01 though 10-04. I am still hopeful to get those pages.

Note the Porsche WKD 482 020 Workshop Manual was initially ordered from Stoddard, as-shown in your link. I was eventually informed that the part number is valid, will remain valid, but Porsche will never make / provide that document to satisfy orders / demand.
Old 10-21-2023, 02:51 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

That's a real shame if Porsche won't produce any more manuals. So much for their bragging about Classic support.

I see your point now. I wonder if those missing pages have been superseded? The torque values on pages 10-05 and 10-06 are pretty much all the torque values provided in the little spec book (although I think there are some differences in nomenclature). Note how those two pages were printed in 1988, whereas most of the other pages have no dates and others are 1986.

Hopefully someone with an early set of the factory manuals can shed some light on this. I don't have one - I just have the set through the SC.

The SC manuals also have just two pages of engine torque specs. The SC manuals have the same maddening hodgepodge of dated pages as the Carrera manual. I have no idea if I have the latest manual or not (I bought it used in the late 1980's or early 1990's, before I even bought the car).

Mark
The following users liked this post:
wingless (10-21-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 01:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

wouldn't a bentley give you everything you need ? or Wayne's engine rebuilding guide ? i work on my car constantly and have not run onto the problem of not having a value

Quick Reply: Assistance Request - 911 Carrera Workshop Manual WKD 482 020 Volume 1 - Missing Pages