Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1970 911T drivers door stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 07:58 PM
rayroske
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1970 911T drivers door stuck

New here. I have a 98 Boxster, but....I just picked / rescued up a 1970 911T! - Been sitting in the same spot since 2005 or so. Lots to sort but first and foremost (after the mice and muck) is the drivers door. The inside handle is broken off and the outside latch appears to be stuck or inoperable. Any suggestions on how to get the door open. I believe it needs to be opened in order to get to the the rear hatch/boot/trunk lid latch? Thanks in advance. Apologies in advance for being a pest. ;) Just getting started!.
Old 10-22-2023, 03:01 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

The car looks pretty good.

Did you figure this out?

The pulls for the Fuel filler access and frunk are to the left of the steering wheel and you do not need to open the driver's door. The trunk "T" handle pull is in the ED: driver’s door area.

Try generously lubricating the DS door handle and lock. Make sure that it is unlocked with the key or on the inside with lock "pull".
On these ancient Porsches, both the trunk and frunk can be opened from the outside. You need a basic (plastic) tool that looks like a stretch "S" or "L". You slide the tool in, push down on the trunk, and move latch to the left or driver's side; same for the frunk.

A decent auto/lock guy will open the door in 5min for you.

Last edited by Igooz; 10-22-2023 at 09:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rayroske (11-08-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 07:48 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
The trunk "T" handle pull is in the passenger door area.

On these ancient Porsches, both the trunk and frunk can be opened from the outside. You need a basic (plastic) tool that looks like a stretch "S" or "L". You slide the tool in, push down on the trunk, and move latch to the left or driver's side; same for the frunk.
These two statements are incorrect. On an F-model there is no T handle for the trunk (front), and the trunk secondary latch moves fore and aft, not side to side. But that isn't the OPs problem. The OP is correct that the T handle for the engine compartment decklid is located at the rear of the driver's side door opening. There is no secondary latch on the engine compartment decklid. I frankly do not know how to open the rear decklid from the outside. Regarding the door lock, I am sure a locksmith can open it. But be careful with that door lock; there are pot metal retaining prongs that likely have become quite fragile over time.

Last edited by raspritz; 10-22-2023 at 07:51 PM.
rayroske (11-08-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 08:49 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 62 Posts

If nothing else works try this:
  • Remove the passenger seat - 4 bolts
  • Remove the drivers seat - 4 bolts and you have room to pull it out the passenger side
  • Remove the driver door handle - if memory serves there are 2 screws
  • Remove the driver door pocket - 2 screws on each hinge. This will allow more room to untie the bungie cord so it can be removed
  • If the door material seems to be in good shape to reuse, use a soft plastic body tool to start prying the clips that hold the door card in place. There are 4-5 of these on the perimeter of the door card. If the door card is shot jus use any small pry bar to pop the door card off.
  • Once the door card is removed you have direct access to the door latch and locking mechanisms.
  • From here it's figuring out what you need to do to get the door open

Hope this helps
rayroske (10-23-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 09:16 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
These two statements are incorrect. On an F-model there is no T handle for the trunk (front), and the trunk secondary latch moves fore and aft, not side to side. But that isn't the OPs problem. The OP is correct that the T handle for the engine compartment decklid is located at the rear of the driver's side door opening. There is no secondary latch on the engine compartment decklid. I frankly do not know how to open the rear decklid from the outside. Regarding the door lock, I am sure a locksmith can open it. But be careful with that door lock; there are pot metal retaining prongs that likely have become quite fragile over time.
You are absolutely correct, I meant to type driver’s door area, typed stupid. I know better after 25 years of ownership. I will edit my error.

However, the second part is absolutely correct, and you can absolutely reach from outside, slide in, and “jimmy” the trunk or frunk open. The rotation I mentioned is how it works the easiest.
rayroske (10-23-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 09:57 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by raspritz; 10-22-2023 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 01:42 PM
rayroske
AutoX

OK THX!
Yes, I took the liner off and was able to pull the lever while pulling up on the lock and the door opened. The T is broken off the boot latch, but popped easily with pliers.
It's cleaning up nicely. Tires and Battery next up this week.

Next issue is the gas cap lid. The cable is broken. Can I pop it from the outside or from the inner fender?

Last edited by rayroske; 10-23-2023 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:17 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 62 Posts

Good question. I've never had an issue but it should go through the firewall and then the top of the fender. It can't be opened from the top as it an actual spring loaded latching mechanism that holds it closed. Good luck with this one.
rayroske (10-23-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 10:29 AM
rayroske
AutoX

Default Fuel Door Stuck - Solved

I found a great trick for opening these older 911 fuel doors if the cable is broken! Simply feed a shoelace or string in the gap and pull both ends toward the front of the car. Works like a charm!

Quick Reply: 1970 911T drivers door stuck