Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Autocross Tire Pressure ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 11:03 AM
sprocket3
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Autocross Tire Pressure ??

I have just started autocrossing my 1978 911 SC. It has a very well setup suspension system (Thank you Steve Weiner). I'm running 7-8 x 16" fuchs wheels and dunlop 9000 tires.

I have the Smart Racing adjustable sway bars on the car, but wanted to know what a good starting point would be for the tires.

Any ideas would be good to hear. I ran last weekend at 30 Front /35 rear and the car pushed pretty bad. Very tight corse, never out of first grear.

Mat
Old 05-29-2004, 06:50 PM
ebsalem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add 5 PSI on both sides and get a piece of chalk the mark the tires and see if they are 'rolling' too far over. Once you know what pressure stops the rolling then you can back off pressure until you feel more neutral.

Say you start at 35/40 and there's no roll. then back off some pressure on the side that isn't griping as much.

I run 26/28 on Hoosier slicks for AutoX. But a true street tire like yours will need lots more pressure. It will also like A LOT of negative camber in front.

Be careful about too much caster. I got a little carried away with that once and broke my thumb when the wheel snapped back.

good luck,
e

Quick Reply: Autocross Tire Pressure ??